cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

KeksMember
Adept I

Low clock speed on the 7950x

Hello all, I hope you are having a wonderful Christmas so far!

I have been on AM5 for about 1.5 months now and love it so far, though I am having a persistant issue that kind of ruins my experience. When doing heavy multi-core workloads my 7950x seems to not boost as high as it is advertised for, stress testing in OCCT or Cinebench R23 gets my cores to ~4.75ghz, on single core stress tests I get as high as 5.5ghz. I have seen other people getting much higher clocks on multi-core benchmarks with weaker cooling than I have. My gaming experience has also not been the best so far and when comparing other peoples who are also running a 7950x with similar specs I can definitely see a performance issue on my side. Has anybody else experienced a similar issue or knows a solution?

I am running the latest stable BIOS with XMP enabled. I made sure the AIO is seated perfectly and the thermal paste(MX-5) is also equally spread out.

I'd be thankful for any feedback!

System specs:

CPU: R9 7950x

RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade 6000MT DDR5 CL32

Motherboard: AsRock x670e Taichi Carrara

GPU: Nvidia Rtx 2060 Super

Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420 (AIO)

0 Likes
7 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

KeksMember, what is the Wattage of your power supply? Please post screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) both in Basic and Advanced modes running Cinebench R23. Please post only RM shots nothing else. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hey there, I have the Corsair HX1200(1200Watt). I am getting around 33k points in r23. I also have to mention the CPU boosts up to 5.2ghz while running a AVX2 stress test, ~4.75ghz under AVX512.

KeksMember_1-1672066147821.png

KeksMember_2-1672066414524.png

0 Likes

Thanks KeksMember, nice. Looks like you are doing quite well but are throttling because of temperature and CPU power. You can raise the limit of  CPU power but not Temperature.  Please  make sure your cooler is mounted properly, tight and with good thermal paste. You could try opening your case.  I always run all my fans on 12 volts directly from the power supply, might try that. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to repaste and reseat the AIO block in a few days with higher quality thermal paste and report my result back to this post, hopefully that will fix the issue.

0 Likes

Thanks KeksMember. I was going to post an SS for my 3970X which brick walled, but cannot find it. Will post later. Enjoy, John.

Ran another:

Cenibench.3970X.jpg

Still lots of temperature headroom left but PPT and CPU Power are pegged and throttling. I raised the these and the two yellow ones but still did not max out the temperature but did improved the CB score. I choose to stop raising the limits. Enjoy, John.

Hey, finally got to repaste my 7950x today and you were right, the CPU was temperature throttling itself. It now hits 5ghz on an all-core load and 5.5ghz on single-core loads. Getting around 36k points in r23 and much lower temps on less intensive workloads.