cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Looking for some more information on how to perceive the 2933 mhz memory value that is stated for the ryzen 5 2600 cpu

Hi,

As you can see from the question i would like to know what the deal is with the 2933 mhz value.
For example: is this the memory speed Ryzen needs to work optimal? or does this just show the height of the max memory value supported? 
Are there drawbacks or plusses for using lower or higher memory speeds? 

If someone could explain this in plain english i would be very much obliged 

0 Likes
7 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

christiaan1979meul, probably a hard question to answer definitively.  Probably, you should point to (link) where the statement is.  It is most likely the highest frequency.   Running faster makes your computer overall faster and probably has no real down side, except maybe invalidating the Warranty (ask AMD).  Running slower will reduce the heat produced and power used.  I think many user overclock their memory.  According to the MB, memory and other factors, this processor may well run faster than 2933 MHz.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

The statement is found on AMD's own site. Right down with specifications there is also a tab called system memory. There it states :

System Memory Specification

If you are talking about RAM Memory Speed with a Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, go to your Motherboard Specs and RAM QVL List to see what speeds are indicated.

If you are talking about Ryzen CPU Speeds, that is a different story. Need to be more specific in what you are asking. Also need to post your computer specs.

0 Likes

CPU specified memory frequency : 2933
Motherboard max <--- ! frequency : 3200 

My question is how to perceive the value stated by AMD? is it max? is it the only speed recommended ? thats what i would like to know. The cpu came without any manual. maybe i can find it online and see if it contains a somewhat more eleborate explanation of memory 

0 Likes

Ignore the CPU memory recommendation, is only indicating like the minimum speed recommended

Do like elstaci said, go to the motherboard RAM QVL list and use whatever speed you want and dont look to motherboards max frequency, some brands have upgraded their bios to further speeds, on the overview you may see 3200/OC max frequency, but in the bios you can OC more like 4266mhz

0 Likes
arcticwind
Forerunner

What he is asking about is the "system memory specifications" for the Ryzen processors on the AMD web site. Each processor list a speed that the "memory controller" functions at in it's specifications.  

2nd Gen Ryzen™ 5 2600 Desktop Processor for Gamers | AMD  

Here is some info on it.  This can explain it better than I can.  (look at "memory support" / "memory controller")   

List of AMD Ryzen microprocessors - Wikipedia 

Memory controller - Wikipedia 

The maximum speed stated by AMD is the maximum speed which is guaranteed to work with it, as there are many factors which go into determining what speed of RAM you can run at, including but not limited to RAM quality, quantity, number of sticks, ECC, and registered. In a typical home setup, the motherboard determines the RAM speed supported, and most manufacturers will list on the QVL page RAM speed capabilities for 2 and 4 module setups.

There is a large advantage to using the fastest RAM available for your motherboard, as Ryzen 1000 and 2000 series CPUs also run their Infinity Fabric at the same speed, and the performance difference between 2400 and 3200mhz RAM, and higher, is both measurable and can extend into the double digits of percent.

0 Likes