cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted

Looking for a replacement for an AMD HD6770M on a Mac

Jump to solution

I have a macbook pro 17" late 2011 with a burned out AMD HD 6770M GPU and I am having a great deal of difficulty finding a new chip which can installed on the motherboard.  It would be marvellous if I could get this chip directly from AMD if that is possible but if not I would really appreciate hearing from someone who knows of a good reliable source for this chip.  Also, I would appreciate knowing if this chip is the same no matter what brand of computer it is installed in as it may be possible to transfer the chip from a working non Apple computer to an Apple computer.

I am looking forward to hearing from someone soon.

MODERATOR NOTE: We have updated the title of this discussion with relevant details to better describe your issue. This should encourage community participation in your discussion.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Looking for a replacement for an AMD HD6770M on a Mac

Jump to solution

GPU's in laptop systems are only made available to system builders and are NOT available for direct purchase.

In the case off Apple products, GPU's are flashed with an Apple specific certified VBIOS file.

EDIT: Added the crucial word NOT !

RayM

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

GPU's in laptop systems are only made available to system builders and are NOT available for direct purchase.

In the case off Apple products, GPU's are flashed with an Apple specific certified VBIOS file.

EDIT: Added the crucial word NOT !

RayM

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you ray_m for your help. Your explanation clarifies the challenge I face.  People are selling motherboards for this system for a lot of money and very often the failed GPU has been re-balled instead of being replaced.  This solution will work only for a short amount of time before the GPU fails again. If the laptop has not been used to play games, the original GPU should be more reliable and could be transferred from one computer to another.  The challenge is to find a laptop which is being scrapped because it is badly damaged but the motherboard still works.

Thanks again.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

MODERATOR NOTE:  I am glad to see you have resolved your issue. To help keep this post on topic and help other with a similar issue, I am locking this thread.

RayM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Hi @john_partridge,

I came up the same problem than you! read a lot forums and alternative solutions to disable GPU (by software) and 3 or 4 ways of doing it soldering or flashing a new gmux(or video firmware)... but kind of difficult to get it done from where I live.

So, to be clear, EVERY seller in ebay (or similar), that offers changing the AMD GPU for a new one with out the failure, might not (or IS not) to be trusted as AMD wont sell this chips to anyone that to Apple.

What did you do with your Mac? could you solve it some way?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

No, I couldn’t repair the laptop so I bought a newer MacBook Pro which wasn’t working but was within the repair period and I paid Apple to replace the motherboard and I installed fan control software to ensure the computer remained cool. The laptop has an SSD and runs very fast placing a significant load on the motherboard but the fan control software keeps the temperature below 70 C even under the heaviest loads. Most of the time the temperature is below 50 C. The laptop is in use 16 hours a day and has been running since it was repaired in July 2017. The laptop is a 17” late 2011 MacBook Pro.

0 Kudos