cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

summit
Adept I

LiveKernalEvent 144 causing temporary black screen

I noticed this problem while the computer is mostly idle while I'm watching videos or sitting at the desktop. The screen will turn black for a moment and once it returns any video players up are flat white until I refresh the browser. It never happens when the computer is under a heavy load while gaming. I've tried a handful of things from doing some research such as resetting Windows, DDU drivers + using older drivers, changing Nvidia power management settings, ran DISM /Online/Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth along with DISM /Online / Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, reseated the GPU along with making sure all cables are secured.

I can't confirm (I never looked at problem reports before) but the first time I caught the system doing this was a day or so after installing the SN750. What stops me from backing everything up again and uninstalling it is the fact that 144 & 14 errors seem to be attached to device resets. I've been told the IO die in Zen 2 cpus are usually a primary source of both because the pcie link is unstable due to defects.

System specs -

• Ryzen 5 3600x

• Asus X470

• LPX 16gb

• RTX 2060 (446.14)

• x2 860 Evos

• x1 WD Blue SSD

• x1 WD SN750

• G3 550w

0 Likes
11 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Go to your BIOS and disable C-state feature(s) in CPU properties. And open your PC case, and with the computer running on the desktop, gently move the graphics card up and down with the tip of your finger. There may be a problem with the PCI port. You can also try this experiment by unplugging-plugging the graphics card a few times. In short, I think you haven't encountered a general problem.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I’ll be trying this out later today. Could I ask why you think I don’t have a general problem yet? As of last night the screen no longer flickers and then locks up but instead the game/video will freeze (sound continues normally) and everything is locked up until I start a new virtual desktop. If you try to open anything on that new desktop it freezes too. Only option is to force restart and then checking the Windows error log it shows the same 141 events. 

If you had a general problem, AMD wouldn't be able to make money.

The problem you are experiencing may be caused by the PCI port, as you guessed it. You also say it freezes. Is the RAMs stable? Is RAM compatible? Have you tried any other RAMs? Did you think there was a problem with the PSU when the GPU was under load?

I haven’t done a 86memtest yet but the system has been up and running for about 8 months so the RAM should be compatible. I don’t have any other sticks to test but I have rotated the sticks in the system. Not too sure if it could be the PSU either. I have now plugged the computer directly into the wall instead of the strip it was on.

The game freezes only started yesterday while playing Fall Guys. The game barely utilizes the GPU but even games like MW don’t trigger it. After the freezes last night I saw there was a chipset update which I did and I didn’t have any more freezes but the problem being completely random has always been normal. I could go 1-2 weeks without seeing the issue. 

It is unnecessary to search for the problem in the PSU or the RAMs based on the information you have provided. You must remove unnecessary disks and USB devices. Something is disrupting the stabilization of your system. If you cannot find the problem, the cleanest method is to replace the motherboard (b550 or x570).

I do have a few storage SSDs that can be unplugged for the time being. USB wise just mouse, keyboard, and headset. I’ll attempt your GPU test this afternoon and get back to you. I’ll also contact ASUS to see about a RMA on the board. Perhaps, when I removed the GPU to install the NVME a few weeks I did something to the PCI port. 

Gave the GPU a good wiggle for a few seconds and I wasn't able to trigger the issue. I'm going to unplug some of my extra storage drives and hopefully get the problem to come up again. Do you think it would be worth it to go forward with a RMA for the board anyway?

0 Likes

Of course. The problem is hardware so the mobo with high probability. However, some x470s come with PCI Gen4 support. BIOS supports it, but problems can occur while working. I saw that the AMD engineer himself wrote this. You can also try the PCI setting to Gen3 with the BIOS. But how is this change made? I do not have a clear answer. You need to search a little with the BIOS if you haven't tried this change.

I tried moving the GPU again with C-state enabled/disabled and still no luck. Searched around for some way to disable Gen4 support but it seems AMD pushed an update a bit ago that disabled that for stability issues already.

It also came to my attention I completely put the wrong Kernel error code in this post.. The actual error code I'm getting (2 at the same time with different parameter 1 & 4 codes) is 141 NOT 144.

0 Likes

One of the disks or the USB devices may be faulty. I've already mentioned this. However, I wanted to renew. It doesn't seem like a general issue anyway.

0 Likes

Friends,

I am suspicious that there may be two factors.

Either the 1TB SSD or the memories. I have all SATAs filled and 2 SSDs using M2_1 and M2_2. In what I saw in the manual this would not make any sense, as it would be allowed.

I decided to do a test. I removed the games from this SSD and put everything on the HD. The only difference was that in the past few weeks I added this SSD and more memory.

With the RX480 these anomalies did not occur.

I'm a little scared, as I saw someone mention that they exchanged Corsair 3600MHz memories for Balistics 3200MHz memories and the problem was solved.

I will continue with the tests here. It is more than clear to me that the problem is BIOS adjustment. AMD needs to address these issues soon.

[ AMD Ryzen 7 5700X (step B2) | CM MASTERLIQUID PL360 FLUX | MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI - 7C91v1D | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz XPG SPECTRIX | ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 3060 OC Ed 12GB GDDR6 ]
0 Likes