cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ojrchencheno
Journeyman III

Limit Ryzen 5900x but Allow PBO

Is there a way to limit max frequency/max voltage while still allowing PBO to run in ryzen 5900x?

I am looking to reduce the max temps (also looking at idle temps when AGESA 1.1.8.0, PBO2 and Offset Voltage come to my motherboard later) which sometimes spike to 85C+ under load. I know it is not a problem, but I would prefer to keep it under 80C. Is there a way to thermal throttle at 80C, cap the max frequency or the max voltage while still allowing PBO to run in ryzen 5900x? I have tried to reduce Max CPU State in Windows Power Plan to 99%, and it plain out disables boosts and stays at base frequency.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard: Aorus X570 Pro Wifi

0 Likes
2 Replies
Nekela
Adept III

85° while below the tjmax of the chip is a bit warm. What are you using for a cooling solution and are you sure that your cooler is making good contact? There is no need to intentionally gimp the processor when lower temps can be achieved with a slight under volt. 

0 Likes
trek
Elite

Yes there is exacly setting in BIOS what you want, name is Platform Thermal Throttle Limit and you set it to 80C.

I have exactly set it because of the same reason, I have also better than stock performance, becuase I also set curve optimizer. Important thing is to make sure you do not increase PBO limits (must be set to Auto).

bios.png

0 Likes