cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

suhr
Journeyman III

Re: Latest MSI bios (2.A0) for my motherboard contains Spectre2 microcode that has slowed down my cpu by 5%-15% in every AIDA64 cpu bench!

Jump to solution

You're being oversensitive for such a minor drop in something that doesn't matter as much as you think it does. Let me clear up some things. First off, these bugs don't affect systems too often. However, the fixes DO decrease the performance on EVERY setup. Let it be Intel or AMD. You're looking at some MINOR losses from memory bandwidth. Of course Unigine Valley won't show any difference, it pretty much purely benches the GPU, and if you don't have ANY issues with any games or other benches, you shouldn't be going back and forth between BIOS'es. It makes no sense.

I have a secondary rig here that has a 2600 which I use two sticks of Trident-Z 3600 pulled out from my X299 primary, along with an MSI X470 Gaming Pro board. At 3.8 MSI Gaming Boost, it gets 125 pts in UserBenchmark floating point single core, while my 4.9ghz 7820X gets about 152pts. It's a pretty capable CPU and a %10 knock down in RAM bandwidth certainly ain't gonna kill it (if it even happens).

You don't have anything to be worried about. Have the patches installed and keep rocking.

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

Re: Latest MSI bios (2.A0) for my motherboard contains Spectre2 microcode that has slowed down my cpu by 5%-15% in every AIDA64 cpu bench!

Jump to solution

This User on another Thread here in AMD Forum mentioned that certain Asrock Motherboards just uploaded new BIOS:

Good news if you're a user of certain ASRock motherboards. New beta UEFI/BIOS updates were released that include AGESA version PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.3b, and it seems to resolve this issue. That's the case for my ASRock AB350 Pro4 with UEFI/BIOS version 4.73A/PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.3b, atleast.

I realized that you have a MSI Motherboard, but this suggests that mostly likely there might be a new BIOS update for your motherboard very soon since Asrock updated their BIOS with the new AGESA 1.0.0.3b.

0 Kudos
waltc
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Thanks! Good to know...;)

0 Kudos
waltc
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Yep, I have a tendency to be "over sensitive" when information is not forthcoming from my hardware vendor...;)  The more info they provide their customers, the better, imo.  Also, I don't think a ~19% reduction in memory bandwidth as reflected in the AIDA64 cpu bench Memory Read is "slight," or "minor," etc.  I think it deserves at least a comment or two.  (The Spectre2 cpu microcode patch drops the mem bandwidth performance on my system from 49,000+ mb/s  to 40,000 mb/s.)  Especially in the case of Ryzen, because at least up to 3400MHz (if not beyond) Ryzen will take advantage of the faster bandwidth to process faster--unlike some cpus, for instance, that don't see much of a processing speed increase as the memory bandwidth increases beyond their default.  The thing that bothers me the most is that AMD officially states that Ryzen isn't vulnerable to either Meltdown or Spectre1 at all--thus requiring no patches for them--and that even with Spectre2 the company sees the vulnerability of Ryzen to be slim to none and has officially stated that installing the Spectre2 patch is optional as far as they are concerned.  So, it would *nice* if MSI would offer bios updates for Ryzen which make the Spectre2 patching optional.

I will agree with you, however, that how much this all actually means to someone will certainly depend on the individual and his work environment...;)

0 Kudos
suhr
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I'm running my Trident-Z 3600 at 3333 with the Ryzen 2600. Windows crashes at 3600, so no, Ryzens don't reach to those kind of memory speeds. Besides: AMD Ryzen Memory Analysis: 20 Apps & 17 Games, up to 4K Review | TechPowerUp

So much for this "faster" with faster memory theory... 4 FPS going from 2133 to 3200.

Like I said, you don't need to be worried about it.

0 Kudos
waltc
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Heh...;)  Sorry, but no...;)  Windows crashes because your ram can't do it--not Ryzen.

These people almost hit 3800MHz:

DDR4 Memory Scaling Performance with Ryzen 7 2700X on the AMD X470 Platform - Legit Reviews

Besides, you missed my point entirely, which was that the faster the memory bandwidth, the faster the Ryzen architecture runs--which is why you want to install the fastest compatible ram you can afford, and why you do not want to see memory bandwidth slow down.  Check out the above article for your edification...;)

suhr
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

You clearly don't get it. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with my RAM. The RAM I had there was Trident-Z 3600, Samsung B-die. Fastest RAM you can buy and I've been running them on my X299 at 3600 for ages. My 2600 simply can't do it, I don't care what they reached.

No, you don't want to "install the *fastest* compatible RAM you can afford". That's flat out pointless and would burn a hole in your pocket, and that "memory bandwidth SLOWS DOWN!" logic is just as nonsensical as you can clearly see that the setup is NOT bogged down by RAM bandwidth in games.

0 Kudos
waltc
Miniboss

Jump to solution
UPDATE:     Got a new beta bios from MSI today 5/8 which seems to have solved the slowdown problem while retaining the Spectre2 vulnerability cpu microcode patch.  OK, this beta bios is looking very nice!  The Spectre2 patches are installed but the good news is the big slowdowns I had seen with 2.A0 were no longer evident!  Running just as fast with the new bios as the AIDA64 benches were running with the 2.8 bios!  Very nice, and very pleased with this.

If interested, you can download the bios version from this MSI link:  https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=303203.msg1759105#msg1759105

Further wrapping this entire issue up is the fact that MSI is even now releasing official bios versions (post betas) which correct the performance slowdowns the first Spectre2 bios fixes introduced. Thankfully, looks as if MSI has put this entire issue to bed--Spectre2 vulnerability vanquished *and* the initial performance slowdowns with it...;)  Again, good job MSI!...;)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos