cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Just bought a new build Ryzen 5 5600x > CPU Failure?

So literally this past week I've jumped ship after everyone saying "Intel have lost the gaming CPU race" > So managed to get a Ryzen5 5600X. 

Built into a nice Corsair iCUE 465X case, white, water cooled, 3 fans in, 3 fans out. first few days, no problems at all. All windows updates installed.

Today.. get up, browse Youtube, boom, complete reset. This afternoon, reading a facebook post, click to open a new window, boom, complete reset. Both times give the same error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Bus/Interconnect Error
Processor APIC ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I have a dud CPU? I'm kinda lost without my PC!!! Help!

Weirdly, playing GTA5 has been absolutely fine, and same with Hell Let Loose. No crashes. 

help please!!!

1 Solution

I've decided to can AMD anyway, go back to Intel. A Proven working chip. I can't put up with waiting for a maybe fix.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
nsargentum
Adept II

I have the same problem; I posted about it here:

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-5600x-system-constantly-crashing-restarting-whea-logge...

Go into the bios, disable PBO (precision boost overddrive) and then also disablo CPB. You may have to dig around for it.

This is probably something that's going to be fixed with a bios update or a windows update. I have found that it crashes a whole lot less when PBO is off, and stops crashing all together when CPB is off. The thing is CPB is the single core boosting behavior and it will reduce clock frequency big time by turning this off, but the trade off is 0 crashing until there is some type of update.

you can try just turning off PBO and keeping CPB on, but for me this means a few hours of gaming then a random crash. Your results may be different.

Cheers. I actually did a BIOS update earlier today and so far.. it appears not to have crashed. I am hoping its solved it. 

Lets just see what happens, but yeah I turned on the PBO from Auto to Enable.... after that it started.

0 Likes

Looks like you were right, BIOS update appears to have fixed the problem! Cheers very much! 

0 Likes

What motherboard do you have and what bios did you update to?

Asus B550-A Gaming

Bios version 1216

So this has happened again. Still latest BIOS. Now I have disabled PBO And CPB. lets see if it stays stable.

And when I can afford it, replace the motherboard & CPU With an Intel chip. Never had this problem before. Sad :(

Bus/Interconnect WHEA reboots on newly installed 5000 series processors are being widely reported here, mostly so in this thread:

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-5900x-system-constantly-crashing-restarting-whea-logge...

Disabling PBO makes the system more stable but greatly decreases performance. Others have been able to get a stable fix without disabling PBO by tweaking voltages. Personally I have gotten a completely stable system by going into the curve optimizer in BIOS (new feature but looks available on your version of BIOS) and setting it the an all core magnitude of around +8.

This is a temporary fix but at least gives some of us a stable system without greatly diminishing performance. I am holding out some hope that a near-future BIOS version with AGESA 1.1.8.0 may provide stability at default settings, as has been reported by some users. I put in an RMA with AMD two weeks ago and have not heard anything.

All in all I am disappointed because this is a widespread problem and many of us are having the exact same issue. Yet AMD is giving its users zero support and does not even acknowledging that there is an issue here worth investigating.

so someone told me to change the Asus Chipset drivers out for AMD ones. I did that, turned on PBO/CPB And it worked for a bit! Then crashed again.

This problem is awful and is terrible of AMD to release such shoddy and crap hardware. Going back to Intel and scrapping AMD For good. This isn't good enough. It might be cheaper than Intel but nto if you can only use about 75% of its power. pointless. My old i7 6700k ran better in games than this.

Everyone who has this issue needs to keep reporting it to AMD as well as your motherboard maker.

This is a wide spread problem that needs to get more attention and this forum gets next to no attention by AMD. 

They just don't participate here in these USER TO USER forums.

I highly suggest you complain of this in the AMD Reddit thread or any tech site forum.

Absolutely do let AMD know through the only method of contact they give you.

You can contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Good Luck!

I've decided to can AMD anyway, go back to Intel. A Proven working chip. I can't put up with waiting for a maybe fix.

Tried to play Hell Let Loose tonight. mostly, getting about 40fps. maximum. Unless there was almost nothing on screen then it would go up to around 70... my old i7 6700k ran it at 90fps, rest of the machine hasn't changed, other than faster NVME Drives and more ram. 

I've come to the conclusion, AMD Don't give a flying bleep about its customers. so I am never, ever going to build another AMD machine again. thankfully I am in negotiations with the shop I bought it from to replace it with Intel hardware. Also saying goodbye to Asus. Fed up of buggy software too. if AMD/Asus can't get their drivers right, time to move on.

Doing a bit of digging. It appears that this is a fault of SOME B550 Boards, not the CPU itself. So apologies to AMD.

However, the board is unable to run the higher voltages due to not being able to power up quick enough against the processor. Meaning that CPB/PBO has to be turned off, unless you run a higher voltage AT ALL TIMES, which creates more heat. I don't want that.

Running CPB/PBO in its current form, has been semi-working for me, I even ran a CPU Stress test and that ran for 5 minutes without problem, CPU Temp went up to 68 and then as soon as I stopped, down to 41 almost instantly (Thanks AIO Water cooler!) however, I click on a Youtube video and that instant need for power to decompress video, it crashed. This is a Motherboard issue.

AMD, work with your board manufacturers to fix it for people. My board is an ASUS board and I've lost the trust in ASUS through this. Now I'm off to a Gigabyte Aorus board and Intel i7 10700k processor. 

I could run the CPU at stock, but that's 3.7ghz. I had more power with my old i7 6700k. Thanks AMD, you reminded me why I've been avoiding you for years. 

Motherboard does not seem like the main issue, based on a number of things I have seen:

1. This issue is affecting people using a variety of b550/x570 boards from different manufacturers. This is what I see when scanning through specs posted here, reddit, and overclock.net by people running into the same WHEA issue with a 5000 series processor.

2. There was also a person (can't remember if here or another forum) who had this issue, switched to another 5000 series processor they had on hand (think it was a 5900x to a 5800x) and the system was stable. 

3. There was also a person who swapped their faulty CPU with a couple of different motherboards and RAM, and the CPU was the component causing the fault.

4. People who updated to a newer AGESA version and the issue went away. 

This leads me to believe the issue is CPU related and happening to a small percentage of customers. There is a lot of chatter about this, but when you count up all people who have this issue on different forums, it looks to be at most so far 50 to the low hundreds. This thread has a lot of posts by the same people. 

Example: If 5% of CPUs have this issue, and there are 20,000 of the 5000 series processors in the wild now, that is 1000 customers with this issue. Maybe a quarter of those (250) have posted about it on here or other forums.

But even if the problem is with a small percentage, this percentage is still much bigger than AMD quality control should have let through.

After two weeks of waiting AMD got back to my RMA request and immediately approved it. Hopefully in a few weeks I will have a replacement 5900x, along with AGESA 1.1.8.0, and will have a stable system. If not, the plot thicken.

@thunk_stuff wrote:

Motherboard does not seem like the main issue, based on a number of things I have seen:

1. This issue is affecting people using a variety of b550/x570 boards from different manufacturers. This is what I see when scanning through specs posted here, reddit, and overclock.net by people running into the same WHEA issue with a 5000 series processor.

2. There was also a person (can't remember if here or another forum) who had this issue, switched to another 5000 series processor they had on hand (think it was a 5900x to a 5800x) and the system was stable. 

3. There was also a person who swapped their faulty CPU with a couple of different motherboards and RAM, and the CPU was the component causing the fault.

4. People who updated to a newer AGESA version and the issue went away. 

This leads me to believe the issue is CPU related and happening to a small percentage of customers. There is a lot of chatter about this, but when you count up all people who have this issue on different forums, it looks to be at most so far 50 to the low hundreds. This thread has a lot of posts by the same people. 

Example: If 5% of CPUs have this issue, and there are 20,000 of the 5000 series processors in the wild now, that is 1000 customers with this issue. Maybe a quarter of those (250) have posted about it on here or other forums.

But even if the problem is with a small percentage, this percentage is still much bigger than AMD quality control should have let through.

After two weeks of waiting AMD got back to my RMA request and immediately approved it. Hopefully in a few weeks I will have a replacement 5900x, along with AGESA 1.1.8.0, and will have a stable system. If not, the plot thicken.

This is has been happening since the initial microcode in preparation for Zen 3 started showing up in the code since late summer. So fo many boards that is a couple versions now. Many have reported being able to regress bios and the problem goes away for their Zen2 processors. Obviously this is not an option for Zen3. Just search WHEA in this forum and you have page after page of complaints with many individual threads with a lot of people complaining. I definitely think it is far more wide spread than a couple hundred people. I am seeing these complaints in good numbers in several of the tech forums I frequent. I hope AMD gets a handle on this soon, it seems to already be giving Zen 3 quite the black eye. 

My number is in the low hundreds of people who have posted about it on AMD forums, reddit, overclock.net, etc. Not everyone who has the issue on a web forum has posted about it. So yes actual people affected by this is much higher than users posting on internet.  

AMD and motherboard manufacturers are testing also and somehow it's getting past their quality control. That says not every CPU is affected. I put out a number like 5% defect, which is a high and unacceptable defect rate for a product, especially a CPU. 

We are still in the early phase of rollout and this issue is going to be a much bigger problem as 5x and 20x the number of people get a 5000 series processors. AMD needs to get a fix for this soon and improve their quality control.

EDIT: Just read matty1961's thread and swapping out two 5950x CPU and getting same WHEA errrors. So either AGESA is bad and needs to be patched, or I am wrong and the fault rate with at least 5950x is much much higher. 

Just for clarification:
You did perform a fresh install of Windows when moving from the Intel platform?

0 Likes
theflyingv
Journeyman III

I am experiencing this issue as well. My system was stable for the first month and it only started appearing recently. I have gone mad troubleshooting trying to fix the issue. What I have found so far is that disabling my XMP profile and running stock memory clock has reduced the frequency the issue appears. Still early to say.

First AMD build, AMD come on and help us out.

0 Likes

I am having the same issue. PC keeps crashing randomly and most of time when it's just idling. I have a 5600X and a 6800XT running on a X570 TUF-Gaming board. Ram is a Gskill 32GB kit running at their XMP profiles. I have the latest BIOS version from Asus as well. I notice that each time the PC crashes it's the same WHEA-Logger error but the Processor APIC ID keeps changing. I have seen 0,3,4,5,6,8,10. What does this all mean? Any assistance from AMD on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
zaaaccchh
Journeyman III

Also switched to AMD as I was sold on the hype. Having this exact same power loss issue, mainly during gaming and some stress tests. Microcenter said the chip was fine when I tried to switch it out. These chips are not stable. I switched out the b450m ds3h for a b550-f gaming (wifi) and am having the same exact issue. It is driving me nuts. I would avoid ever building with a single AMD component ever again.

0 Likes