cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gfanini
Adept II

it is possible to disable htc thermal control on A10 cpu ?

It is 2 years I am having an A10 cpu on a notebook throttling down to about 1.6 GHz, presumably due to htc kicking in at about 60 °C, can AMD make any utility (with source code ?) available similar to this amdmsrtweaker to, presumably (?) disable htc hardware thermal control, in order to be able to operate under load at the nominal 2.5 Ghz, at one's own risk, out of warranty, etc.

how to set P states 4-7 · Issue #6 · mpollice/AmdMsrTweaker · GitHub 

0 Likes
9 Replies
gfanini
Adept II

is there any AMD utility that can set these in order to avoid A10-9620P  family 15h revision 65h throttling for windows 10 with current radeon driver can any be enabled via registry :

Wattman
Cool N Quiet
amd start now power settings
ULPS ultra low power state EnableUlps

0 Likes

Seems like you have a Laptop Mobile AMD Processor.

None of AMD software/programs that can physically change the Processor's parameters like Over/Under clocking will not be compatible with laptops.

Only Desktops will be able to Over/Under Clock using AMD software to be supported and compatible.

You would need to download a 3rd party software to be able to adjust your mobile processor's parameters.

0 Likes

Linux corefreq show it can run sustained 2.5 GHz steady, it shows state C1E, what reason is there not to make any utility available from AMD that it's really annoying, might it be possible to disable windows power management altogether :

I don't think a 3rd party can figure out what kludges windows may be doing to tamper with clock speed, whereas AMD might be able to do something about it.

0 Likes

Well, I really don't know what else to suggest.

If you want you can open an online AMD Service Request (Official AMD SUPPORT) from here and asked them yourself: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Good luck and take care!

By the way, your original post confused me in what you needed to find out when you mentioned to disable HTC in the processor. That would be a User that is interested in Overclocking, in my opinion.

0 Likes
gfanini
Adept II

My 2 cents is that they are making notebooks always lighter in weight, so less battery, so a lot of power conserving throttling, but in my opinion that should be on battery only but not on mains power ... anyway my hunch is windows fiddles via ACPI but it's really difficult to figure out, in linux instead the cpu governors seem well exposed and settable by the user, say if he wishes to set nominal speed he can, in my opinion this notebook is calculated to be able to sustain 2.5 GHz from linux at least no perceivable overheating, not sure what to think bewildering.

0 Likes
gfanini
Adept II

let's say in linux I can look at acpi-cpufreq "directly" whereas in windows there's tens of individual settings apparently :

Ottimizzazione dell'alimentazione e delle prestazioni | Microsoft Docs 

Known Windows Power Subsystem GUIDs 

0 Likes

A way of going about it might be to allow a MINIMUM (nominal not overclocked) FREQUENCY setting, i.e. never mind all the careful throttling mechanisms, if "plugged in" never say allow below 2.5 GHz 

"Maximum processor frequency" 
powercfg -attributes 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100 -ATTRIB_HIDE

i.e. introduce a "minimum frequency" which is synthetic say, on linux for sure there are both min and max settable so I don't think it's harmful not:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_max_freq

like this one :

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/cpuinfo_min_freq
0 Likes
gfanini
Adept II

Is there any way to stop windows 10 throttling down down clocking an AMD A10 cpu on a lenovo ideapad laptop
perhaps windows cannot control the fan speed and resorts to passive cooling i.e. down clocking
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
DWORD (32-bit) named PowerThrottlingOff with content 1
doesn't have any effect, I read that with Intel cpus there is a way to avoid it perhaps :
Intel Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Driver for Windows 10
is there anything for AMD cpu like
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility XTU

0 Likes