cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

effinhot
Adept I

Is this normal for a ryzen 5 3600 while playing Ark with medium settings?

hotAMD.png

I'm very concerned for my new PC. It's my first gaming PC and I'm not sure if this is normal. I have a B550M mobo mortar, rtx 2060 super mini, vengance ddr4 16gb. I am using the stock cooler.. Wraith stealth. I have 2 intake fans in the front, 2 exhaust fans on the top, one more exhaust fans in the back. 

In this picture I am only running Ark as you can see, not even in the game yet. 

44 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

No, this is not normal. There is a problem with the CPU cooler. If the CPU cooler is working, thermal paste replacement should be done, if not, it should be replaced with a different CPU cooler.

Thank you, when I first opened the cooler it had thermal paste on, I accidentally rubbed off a little of the pre-made circle. I didn't think it was a big deal but i think that's my problem now that you've confirmed my suspicion. 

0 Likes

The old thermal paste should be cleaned so that the cooler copper will shine. Then new thermal paste should be applied on the CPU. Also, be sure to install the cooler properly.

0 Likes

Thank you, is there a specific way I should clean the old paste off? Certain substance? 

0 Likes

Cologne and cotton (napkin).

0 Likes

What copper? The stealth doesn't have any. They did on R5 1xxx and 2xxx and then AMD in their infinite wisdom cheaped out more. 

With the 3600 you pretty much have the bottom of the barrel in validation yield. So it is real hit and miss if you get one that runs okay or hot. Then the cooler compared to the Stealth compared to the Spire and especially to the Prism are just garbage. Now the 3600 and the 3700x for instance both are 65w and there is a 25 degree difference in how the they cool with the Stealth. Also knowing that the temps on both those are the pretty much identical with my 212 evo on each. It is all about the cooler being not good enough IMHO.

OP, you can try the new paste. I am sure that pretty much any decent 3rd party paste will be better than what came with it. 

If it is still hot, do yourself a favor and just bite the bullet and get a 3rd party cooler. 

It just sucks to do that as buying one puts you closer to what a better AMD processor that comes with a Prism would have cost. 

Thanks for the response, I have new paste coming in a few days, I was planning on upgrading the cpu fan anyways. If anyone cares, I've seen good reviews on this one: Snowman 6 heat pipes 

0 Likes

No problem. I think that new cooler will likely be great. 

I posted a pic of the cooler that now comes with the 3600 for the non-believer that thinks only he is correct. 

0 Likes

I also do not use AMD and AMD standard cooler like pokester. But I will say it clearly. It's not a bad cooler. In addition, linked such coolers do not gain you even 10 degrees.

In a system with a GPU that blows hot air into the case, you need to use liquid cooling to gain 10 degrees or more. Or you have to use a better one.

0 Likes

The Prism is about 20 degrees better under load and my 212 evo is about 30. But feel free to keep spreading your miss-information. 

0 Likes

Also if you have not used the cooler how could you possibly know if it is good or not. 

You also don't read these forums well as this OP's same complaint on the 3600 specifically is one of the most common questions. Many if not most OP's that post back report temperature not only better but much better than 10 degrees. Try searching. 

0 Likes

Are you writing by trying or reading? How is 20 degrees difference possible? Normal room conditions are already 20 degrees. 

0 Likes

Again you don't have to go further than these forums to find many that have improved their temp under full load by 20 or more degrees by going to better cooling, air or water. 

0 Likes

002.PNG

The important thing is to help. I came this page for this purpose. I don't care what you know. But I am sure I know what you don't know. Mathematics of the temperatures is a different subject.

0 Likes

So you prove your point of liquid cooling by comparing to a stock cooler? Well I would hope it is better. I already said the stock cooler is bad. You said it is good. Now you post this. You really need to make up your mind. You make zero sense. Compare a comparable air cooler to a comparable water cooler. But hey all the tech sites are wrong. All the people on this forum that post their experience with the 3600's are wrong. Your right. LOL

Anyway the OP was helped. 

BTW I am an electrical engineer, with a doctorate in computer science and over 35 years as an IT professional.  since you are boasting your experience level and ability over mine. I'm sure you know what I don't know. I think you do too. LOL 

0 Likes

This is my last post. It doesn't interest me what you know. The end with something very simple. The temperature difference between the two coolers that use the room air as a cooling source under room conditions or the hot air in the case as a cooling source is much lower than you know. So this issue has nothing to do with your profession. So don't get angry.

0 Likes

You were the one that promoted yourself as knowing more and insinuated I know nothing. I only presented the fact that I have a lifetime of experience in this field. And once again you point out what I don't know. Although what I have said is easy to verify with an internet search. 

0 Likes

also nobody needs to use water cooling. most water cooler if they cool better it usually is not by much. and there are plenty of tech sites that have proved this and even proved that in many cases air cooling is better. one thing for sure is air cooling is safer and won't ruin other parts when it springs a leak. they also require far less maintenance which is great for most users. 

maybe you would like to educate yourself with this video from LTT. gamers nexus and jaytwocents have had the same type of videos on this topic too. 

The BEST Cooling Solution - Air or Water - FINAL ANSWER - YouTube 

0 Likes

Even in the menu of an ordinary game, the CPU package temperature has hit 95. You seem to recommend better coolers. 

0 Likes

No idea what you are even trying to say here. Yes I would definitely recommend a better cooler than what they have to anyone that has processor hitting 95. I would hope you would too. 

0 Likes

AFJ6_1_20180228484291362.jpg

Don't mix AMD with Intel. Literature doing with your proper English does not make what you know the true.

0 Likes

Well I'm not and you can change that non helpful back because if you could read you would see I said they used to come with copper. They don't anymore!

0 Likes

anyway here is the current one! just because you don't know something doesn't mean others are stupid. 

aluminum.jpg

0 Likes

here is another sites better picture showing the change:

Is it possible to overclock with the Wraith Stealth ...

0 Likes

and another 

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G CPU and Gaming Benchmarked on Livestream

0 Likes

How many degrees does it make change? How many degrees changes what you suggest? Is the problem caused by cooler or paste?

What do you write for what purposes? This's not clear........ ....... ........ ......

0 Likes

I don't know what you are talking about. I made no comment about posting the same thing all the time. 

Your profanity is uncalled for and against forum rules. amdmatt

0 Likes

When you get angry, your true intention is very very clear... Just because AMD has a bad cooler for you does not mean that it will be 30 degrees different than an ordinary $30 cooler. This is not possible. I already understood your intention by sending two similar pictures one after the other. You convey the existence of 20 grams of copper like a big difference in quality.

0 Likes

My true intentions were only to help the OP.  Yes a different cooler can may\ke a 20 to 30 degree difference on load temps. Sorry if you don't believe that. There are plenty of stats on the internet to prove that. You are the one that didn't believe the cooler no longer has copper. You posted the first pic. I only posted proof of what I said as accurate. I was not angry, I was not the one who resorted to using vulgar language. I only presented facts which are super easy to verify with a search. 

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

What case,what fans,ambient temp's?

0 Likes

It's a Cougar Gemini M, the fans are InWin Sirius Loop. Ambient is around 70 fahrenheit. There was a screen on the top but I have removed it before I took the screen shot.

0 Likes
effinhot
Adept I

So, I got my new thermal paste and still not looking good. Just running master and hwmonitor. I'm not sure why the clock speeds are different on each program. hotAMD.png

0 Likes

Also, in HWiNFO, my Power Reporting Deviation is red... hotAMD.png

0 Likes

Here are more pictures just trying to provide more information on the system... Temperatures staying between 63-70 in BIOS. 118124659_312674026668823_8198565461397483661_n.jpg118553773_331597364752661_5922081859946895620_n.jpg118653088_648788035757818_6431623426669966338_n.jpg118651872_617611455791647_1261947467278160509_n.jpg

0 Likes

You will either need to go to another cooler or try your luck at exchanging that processor or an RMA. AMD seems to have a pretty big variance in what they validate. Many users report high temps and you are certainly not alone. Usually a better cooler will do the trick but it is also more money and only you can decide what path to take next. If you could return it you could look for a 3700x for instance. You would have a couple more cores yet still a 65w processor and a much better stock cooler. For not much more than adding a 3rd party cooler to what you just bought. Of course that is only if you can still return it. 

When it comes to trusting software reporting with Ryzen I would trust what Ryzen Master is showing you as accurate. HWinfo is accurate too but it shows a lot of the bouncing around that Ryzen really is doing but that confuses a lot of users. Ryzen Master in way reports more of an average. It doesn't report the constant changing going on. Ryzen 3xxx is a very dynamic architecture and does an awesome job in general of adjusting itself constantly. 

0 Likes

Is your PC case somewhere stuffy? How is the air circulation of your PC case? Can you open the cover of your PC case and share your system with a clear picture? What is the current CPU temperature in the game menu? Is there a temperature gain? If a temperature gain exists, what is it?

Can you share a photo of the environment where your PC case is located and a photo with the cover open?

video-1599167867 on Vimeo 

video-1599167994 on Vimeo 

The temperatures shown in the video started going up, I had just turned on my PC when I took these, as I write this the temperature shown in Ryzen Master is 83 and rising. 

0 Likes

Your PC case is fine and looks as it should be...

001.PNG

002.PNG

Direction of PC case fans is not understood. Is it in the directions I indicated in the pictures?

Have you tried thermal paste replacement with 4watt/k paste (thermal conductivity) or better?

Does your graphics card go up to 80 degrees?

Can a GPU fan be installed on your PSU case box?

Your graphics card (a TUF series or a Zotac) may be overheating and increasing your temperature in games too much. If a CPU cooler is to be purchased for this system, the best is 240mm liquid cooler. 

A 240mm liquid cooler can be connected to the front panel of the PC case with its radiator and fans, and the front case fans can connected to the back of the radiator. I can guarantee that you will get a temperature gain of over 10 degrees if the way I have specified is followed.

003.PNG

So I'm talking about using 240mm liquid cooler with 4 fans, like in the picture. But the pump should look exactly the opposite of this example picture for you.

0 Likes

Yes, the front ones are intake and back and top out. 

0 Likes