cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Is this defective Wraith Prism? or it is just too loud?

Hello!

This is QS,

I have upgraded my processor with Ryzen 5 3500X + Wraith Prism Combo. my older processor was Ryzen 3 1300x it had really quite a cooling fan on it. I understand that Wraith prism has bigger fan but does it suppose to make vibrations while speeding up? and keep that vibrations at higher RPMs like 2500+ 

I've checked other tickets but mine doesn't has rattling sound on it, also there is no vibration at lower rpms like 1800's, 2200's

You could check the video, it is bit loud so careful. but you can clearly see the vibration at when its going higher rpms (from shaking) 

looking for your advices,

6 Replies

up

0 Likes
Mentamo
Adept I

Hey, I just installed my Ryzen 7 2700x yesterday with the Wraith Prism and I have the exact same problem! No weird rattling noise, just that when gaming and the CPU kicks in harder, the whole computer starts vibrating due to the CPU fan. 

I double checked to make sure that everything is mounted properly and that the screws etc are fastened correctly - and they are. 
Did you ever manage to get a reply on this / a solution? 

Many thanks! 

//Vik

0 Likes

If the temperatures are within specs and not overheating or running hot then it is just the fan is noisy when running 100%.

As long as the Prism is on evenly, tightly, and snugly without any signs of being loose than I wouldn't worry about it unless the sound changes to something like a rasping or  scraping sound which can indicate damaged or worn out bearings.

Anyways I suggest you open an AMD Service Request and ask them just in case what you both are experiencing is abnormal behavior for the Prism: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Many thanks for the reply, Elstaci! 

I'll open a case and see what they say :)

//Vik

Update: In my case it was actually the lever that could be pulled back even further and tighten it fully.. felt like something was going to break because of the resistance, but then I heard the click and it was fully locked in place. A rookie miss, but now I know that a little bit of force is required and that it won't damage anything ;) 

No vibration anymore, not even during stress test. 

Thanks again for your reply! 

You do have a right to be concerned about the Wraith lever breaking. Other Users in the past have opened threads saying the Wraith lever has broken.

But if the Wraith is installed correctly the lever shouldn't break with a little bit of effort to lock it in place unless the lever was defective.

Anyway for your information only, since the Wraith came bundled with your processor it also has a AMD Warranty on it.

Glad you got your problem solved.