cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Fire_raptor
Adept II

Is there a way to recognise B2 versions of 5600x?

I want to buy this CPU but 1-2 months ago there was information that B2 version (lower power consumption and lower temperature) is in production and that they will soon be available in stores. Can they be recognized by serial number? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

If you look at the 'source' article, it's based on a 5900 (non X) oem 65W processor. 

There is a thread on 'overclock.net' (cpu section) about B2 stepping code numbers.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Fire_raptor
Adept II

bump

0 Likes

bump

0 Likes

You might be stressing over nothing.

b2stepp.PNG

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

@goodplay wrote:

You might be stressing over nothing.

b2stepp.PNG

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ryzen-5000-b2-stepping-has-lower-consumption-and-lower-temperature...

"According to overclocker Shamino's tests, these new CPUs have comparable overclocking capabilities to the Stepping B0, reaching 5.15GHz, but has 30W lower power consumption, allowing them to operate at a 9°C cooler temperature."

Seems like a good thing to me, worthy of attention when buying.

0 Likes

Would CPU-Z not show it? Here's mine

a9948671dbef78b55331b00225c32b90.png

0 Likes

As you can see, mine is Stepping 2, Version VRM-B2As you can see, mine is Stepping 2, Version VRM-B2

Yes the AMD Processor Serial Number or Model number should indicate whether it is a B2 version or not. 

But if you haven't purchase the processor yet than I really wouldn't worry to much about it since most likely the one you get is the new version if you purchase it today unless the Retailer sells you an older version of the processor.

From what I read AMD started replacing the B1 version with the B2 version starting 2021. So within 6 months all the B1 versions should have already been replaced  with the B2 version.

@elstaci wrote:

Yes the AMD Processor Serial Number or Model number should indicate whether it is a B2 version or not.

Does serial number tells CPU production date? If yes, I could easy verify that in store....

@elstaci wrote:

From what I read AMD started replacing the B1 version with the B2 version starting 2021. So within 6 months all the B1 versions should have already been replaced  with the B2 version.

In Guru3d article (article from the end of January 2022) it says it should start soon this year, so there was no B2 in 2021:

"At the moment, AMD is manufacturing all CPUs under Stepping B2, but they have not yet been distributed to all retailers, thus purchasing a new Ryzen 5000 does not guarantee that it will have this updated Stepping."

0 Likes

Look if you are so worried about getting a old version of the 5000 series processor then just wait a reasonable time before buying a 5000 series processor. Give time for the Retailers to get re-supplied with the new version processors.

Before purchasing a processor ask the Retailer if you can return it for the newer version if you get the old version. You can also ask the Retailer if the processor is the new version or not.

But you are making a big deal about something that no one really has any control over except whenever AMD starts and completes shipping out the new version processors.

I believe that most Serial Numbers includes the date the product was manufactured. But it most likely in code.

0 Likes

If you look at the 'source' article, it's based on a 5900 (non X) oem 65W processor. 

There is a thread on 'overclock.net' (cpu section) about B2 stepping code numbers.