cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jad2020
Adept I

Is there a negative impact on the CPU if I run all cores at same speed?

As I don't use my PC for gaming, I have locked all of my cores ( r 3600) at 3.9ghz and I find the temps are great and performance (using adobe mainly) isn't affected. 

Does having all cores running the same speed consistently cause any issue to the CPU or is it perfectly safe to do so?

Thanks 

0 Likes
5 Replies

It's perfectly safe, though is there a specific reason you don't leave it on Auto? The automatic boost function uses temperature as a factor, and combined with the high thermal limit of Ryzen 3000 series (95*C), means it will not experience damage.

0 Likes

The reason I have underclocked it at 3.9ghz is to have my fans on a lower speed to reduce noise. 

I have found having them clocked has reduced not only the fan speed/sound but also the temperature doesn't break the 50s under full load. 

I may revert it back to auto but I perfer the quiet low temp and im willing to sacrifice any performance (which i am yet to notice)

Hope that makes sense.

0 Likes

Aye it does, my 3700X at 4300mhz 1.2v combined with my Corsair H115i means my system is whisper quiet under heavy gaming and only a rather low pitched woosh under heavy loads such as video encoding. Far from the days of sounding like a 747...

You should do it in BIOS though instead of through software since it will also allow it to downclock as well as avoid any other potential issues. Ryzen 3000 series processors can clock up and down in 2ms, so you won't notice any hiccups.

Thanks,

I've set it to 3900 in the bios now so hopefully that's the end of me fiddling around with the setting aha!

If I find my temps start to hit 70 degrees I will re-evaluate it!

0 Likes

I found using the defaults was fine for every graphics package I use.

I use power saver which saves a few pesos and it does not affect games or productivity 

0 Likes