cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

endscreed
Journeyman III

Is the Wraith Stealth supposed to be loud?

I just recently upgraded from a i5-4460 to a R5 3600 and wow..... What a huge difference. I am very very happy I made the switch to AMD.
Although I am very pleased with my switch there is one thing that is bothering me. The Wraith Stealth cooler that is included appears to be much louder than the stock cooler for Intel I had before. I figure it should be a little louder as it is designed for a more powerful (and probably hotter) CPU but the constant buzzing is very disrupting.

It was going up and down at around 1200rpm and was constantly fluctuating (which was even louder) but even after I made a fan curve having it hover around 50% the buzzing is still audible through my headphones.

I tested the sound levels with an app on my s10 (I know this isn't the most scientific test) and it was reading between 45 - 55db about 2 inches away from the fan and about 25DB when resting about 2 feet away infront of my keyboard. I had it away from the stream of air and made sure my room was silent during testing. This seems unnaturally loud considering the measurements I had read were around 42dB.

I did a thread on it (wraith stealth cooling fan noise ) however they described it as a "quiet moaning" which isn't what I am experiencing.

I have attached a small MP3 file with 2 sections. The first section is the sound of the PC from about 3 feet away. The second section is from right next to the tower. The buzzing you hear is from the Wraith Stealth. Any input would be appreciated!

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

GPU: GTX 1070 8GB

MOBO: Asrock B450 Pro4

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200MHz

0 Likes
6 Replies

I removed the OEM thermal material for MX-4 and my cooler has been cucumber cold.

0 Likes

I am planning a thermal paste swap myself; However, it's not the temps that are bad, it's the noise. Even at around 30% my stealth is loud.

0 Likes

My cooler has never been noticeable, my air purifier is far louder (i keep it on max all the time)

could be you need a can of compress air and clean your cooler, if that does not work, you may need a new third party cooler as AMD does not sell the coolers directly

0 Likes
shervin
Journeyman III

I posted in your other thread.

But if anyone missed it - It might be a Windows power setting that needs to be changed.

This video worked for me:

https://youtu.be/6NcZCMu5kCw

0 Likes
wonderp
Journeyman III

I got a stock Ryzen 5 3600 and am currently using the stock cooler (Noctua fan in the mail, though) and have been experiencing increasingly aggravating noise. My PC sits on the floor about at my feet and even with headphones with medium levels of gameplay noise, the cooler fan cuts through. It not necessarily the actual loudness but rather the pitch. It sounds somewhat like an instrument, maybe comparable to a recorder playing three octaves too low. Even with a fairly high-quality mic, I have been unable to capture this sound. I don't think my cooler is defective, as your recording is similar to what I got when I tried, but I can't explain why my fan sounds like a low-pitched wind instrument. Sometimes, however, it decides to pitch up a little when it has bursts of activity. I don't know if this is due to the acoustics of my case or what, but the hassle of taking out the motherboard and such to add my new fan will be well worth it.

0 Likes

Best thing I ever did was swap out my wraith prism to an after market cooler. The wraith stock coolers are best described as 'adequate.' It kept my 3600X cool but the constant ramping up and down sounded like a jet engine and I could literally feel the vibrations through my desk! As mentioned, you can adjust power plan profiles in windows but if you alter the max processer state to below 100%, you are going to take a drop in performance as the cpu will stay at it's base speed and never be able to boost to it's max speed. Adjusting fan curves in BIOS to make them less aggressive has helped people but all in all, a decent tower type cooler does make a world of difference.

0 Likes