cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

PaqBel
Adept I

Is the Ryzen 2700U Compatible with Windows 11?

The compatibility test for upgrade to Windows 11 results in:

"Your processor AMD Ryzen 7 2700U is not compatible with Windows 11"

PaqBel_0-1633452655563.png

Which will be the solution to this issue?

Best regards

4 Solutions
vialli100
Forerunner

It is a Zen core, so not compatible with Win 11.

You will have to upgrade, but that CPU is not upgradable as far as i know..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

View solution in original post

Your Laptop APU Processor is soldered to the laptop motherboard. It will cost more to replace than the laptop is worth.

So I would keep the laptop until Windows 10 isn't officially supported by Microsoft which will be a few years in the future or your laptop goes bad or switch to a different OS like Linux.

The desktop version of the Ryzen 7 Pro 2700u, the 2700 (including E and X variants), is supported by Windows 11.   It is a newer CPU, released in Q1 2019  and supports TPM 2.0.  Why would the desktop version be supported but the mobile version not?

The Desktop Ryzen 7 Pro 2700(X)(E) are both ZEN+ processors while your mobile Ryzen 7 Pro 2700U is a ZEN processors.

APUs are generally one generation behind regular Desktop Processors.

That is why your processor is not supported by Windows 11 while the other 2 Desktop processor are.

20 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

It is a Zen core, so not compatible with Win 11.

You will have to upgrade, but that CPU is not upgradable as far as i know..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

The desktop version of the Ryzen 7 Pro 2700u, the 2700 (including E and X variants), is supported by Windows 11.   It is a newer CPU, released in Q1 2019  and supports TPM 2.0.  Why would the desktop version be supported but the mobile version not?

The Desktop Ryzen 7 Pro 2700(X)(E) are both ZEN+ processors while your mobile Ryzen 7 Pro 2700U is a ZEN processors.

That is why your processor is not supported by Windows 11 while the other 2 Desktop processor are.

@elstaci wrote:

Reading this statement i got a question (though, it is maybe a step away from the main subject of this thread) if it's also applicable to a 5000 series APU's, or if those APU's have at least some functional downgrades/disadvantages towards regular desktop CPU's of the same series that probably could result in a same situation with further OS's, where desktop CPU's will be still compatible with those OS's, but APU's - already not?

0 Likes

@DRDOS 

Seems like the 5000 series APUs are the same Zen generation as the regular 5000 series processors.

All use Zen 3 architecture except the 5000 series APUs doesn't support PCIe 4.0 like the regular 5000 series CPUs.

Possibly the 4000 series APUs are the same also.

But generally in the past AMD APUs tended to be one generation behind. But I guess not anymore.

You can look at some of the 2000 and 3000 series APUs and you will see that they are not the same Zen architecture as the normal CPUs.

That is why the 2000 series APUs are not supported by Windows 11 because instead of being Zen+ they are just Zen processors.

Understood, thank you for your answer. Best regards.

If the primary reason for Windows 11 not supporting CPUs is TPM 2.0 support, some 1st gen (not just 1st gen+) Ryzen pros do support TPM 2.0, at least my Ryzen 2700u Pro based HP Elitebook 745 G5 is advertised as supporting it.

"TPM 2.0 embedded security chip"

0 Likes

No, it is not just TPM.

MS has set minimum CPU ISA/Extension sets and minimum hardware/firmware security protocols as eligible for Win.11.

Fun fact, only Zen3 & 11th gen. meet additional higher elevation OS requirements.

There is a several hundred pages MS doc. if you want to find/read it. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

see attached picture of my windows 11 health check , it makes me sick to think that windows 11 is making my 2 year old laptop costing £750  fit in their minds for the scrap bin. 

Windows11 checks.JPG

0 Likes

@Rocketwaveuk 

Yes you have a ZEN or ZEN1 AMD Processor which are not supported in Windows 11.

You can probably still install Windows 11 but Microsoft has said it won't be supported with Windows Updates.

Plus there won't be any AMD drivers for your APU processor for Windows 11 since it isn't supported by Microsoft and Windows. So if Windows 10 AMD Graphics drivers doesn't work in your Windows 11 OS you are out of luck.

NOTE: Windows 10 will still be supported up to 2025 from what I have read. So your laptop will be, at least, 5 year old by then unless Microsoft extends the Support period like they did with Windows 7.

Your Laptop APU Processor is soldered to the laptop motherboard. It will cost more to replace than the laptop is worth.

So I would keep the laptop until Windows 10 isn't officially supported by Microsoft which will be a few years in the future or your laptop goes bad or switch to a different OS like Linux.

Poddaty
Journeyman III

Вопрос про amd razen 3 1200 будет ли поддержка windows 11 в данный момент поддержки нет!

0 Likes

@Poddaty 

No, Microsoft has ruled out all Zen processors that includes the 1000 series processor, except for one or maybe two exceptions.

Тогда какой лучше взять камень бюджетный amd с поддержкой win11

0 Likes

Depends on your Motherboard CPU SUPPORT LIST and how much you want to spend.

pdizazzo
Journeyman III

0 Likes

Thanks my friend, it is a good notice.

BEst regards.

0 Likes
PaqBel
Adept I

Hi Friends:

Finally I upgraded succesfully, I preparaed a USB for install Windows 11 in Rufus 3.16 with the option "Extended Windows 11 installation  (no TPM/no Secure Boot/8GB - RAM)"

PaqBel_0-1642017434502.png

I deactivated the Secure boot and started a fresh installation using th USB.

The installation was performed and then I resinstalled my aplications. Untill now everything is ok.

The updates had been performed correctly, even today.

This is the notice for today

PaqBel_1-1642017787164.png

And this is the result

PaqBel_2-1642017843399.png

Thank you for your support.

Best regards

0 Likes

Yes, it is still possible to install Windows 11 if hardware is not officially supported. But question is - will it then be working completely properly and receive all the updates same way as if it was installed in a regular way with officially supported hardware?

pjdebruin64
Journeyman III

I installed Windows 11 on my Lenovo Yoga 530 with  AMD Ryzen 2700U laptop edition, and IT IS RUNNING GREAT.

No glitches at all after more than a month, receiving updates, and it is fast and snappy, better than Windows 10.