Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Lemonwolf
Journeyman III

Is the HEDT TRX40 Lineup dead?

Hello.

I am very saddened by the fact that AMD is going to launch Threadripper Pro for WRX80 but not a single CPU for the TRX40 Socket.

I distinctly remember AMD making an official statement about the fact that TRX40 is future proof and isnt going anywhere.

So where are the new CPUs for TRX40?

Right now the TRX40 platform is dead!

AMD you lied to us by promising longevity and future support for this platform.

I was an early TR adopter since the 1950X did an upgrade to the 2990WX, i even "excused" the debacle that X399 doesnt work with the 3970X and switched platforms again.

And now i am stuck AGAIN! AMD what are you doing?

Your current release policy is an insult to any existing HEDT customer and you surely lost a lot of trust in the DIY HEDT customer base.

I will no longer support AMD by buying CPUs or GPUs made by them.

Already spent thousands of Euros, enough is enough.

10 Replies
Lemonwolf
Journeyman III

Nothing as response?

Silent treatment from AMD?

That alone says a lot!

0 Likes
BloodlordZXG
Journeyman III

They really pissed me off with this crap, waited for years to upgrade my 1950X to get smacked in the face. 

BFG9K
Journeyman III

I am an MSI trx40 a-pro and a 3960X user

I have been waiting for 5960X for a long long time.

Now I am really really disappointed.

Even X299 supports 7gen, 9gen, and 10gen Core-X extreme CPUs.

WHAT the HECK are you doing, AMD? 

So we got TRX40 only for one generation ZEN2 CPU? Even worse than X399?

Got to hope Intel gives it to AMD with the Sapphire Rapids-X HEDT CPU as they've done to ZEN3 Ryzen with Alder Lake.

Losing HEDT marketshare to Intel will hopefully get AMD to remember TRX40 exist, and then hopefully we can get a enthusiast ZEN3 Threadripper... maybe with some 3D V-cache on top.    

Makes no sense why they are ignoring this market they created.

Right now the stock of old ZEN2 is gone and the prices of these old HEDT ZEN2 TR chips are through the roof and just make TR look even more bad with ZEN3 mainstream Ryzen getting so many discounts.    They are effectively killing off their Threadripper market.

Sapphire Rapids will be short-lived and replaced with Emerald Rapids within a year. There may also never be a Sapphire Rapids-X HEDT platform. Only the Sapphire Rapids-W workstation platform is expected. However leaked model numbers like the Xeon W5-3435X indicate that they could have unlocked multipliers for HEDT users.

0 Likes
bassam64i
Adept I

Considering how much I paid for my TR 3960X over the desktop ryzen 3950X, I do expect an upgrade path/CPU.

This is UN-acceptable AMD.

I do finite element analysis FEA. I do benefit significantly from more memory channels and a 256GB ECC RAM size, PCIE lanes etc. The 5950x and the rest go only up to 128gb.

Yes, I do use it to generate a small income in small engineering projects, but I certainly don't make enough to purchase the Pro version such as the 24 core entry model 5965WX. In Australia this 5965WX is listed for $4,299 Australian dollars. This is an insane amount of money for an the entry level CPU compared to what I paid for the 24core TR 3960X non pro, $2,200 AUD.

So sorry AMD, I won't by buying the 5965WX, because it's not a good value proposition.

2022-07-25 00_47_36-AMD Threadripper Pro 5965WX 24 Core Processor _ JW Computers — Mozilla Firefox.png

Would really love to see an official statement that trx40 is dead… I’m still holding on to hope that we’ll somehow get a non-pro 5000 series one day. Not seeing an official announcement is really bothering me though. 

0 Likes

Hi Ginsardi,

I am still traumatised by this experience, who would have thought when that you pay more for a high end CPU, you actually get less in terms of up-gradability. AMD should reverse their decision and release the non Pro version of the 5000 series Threadripper because otherwise no one will buy any of their HEDT line-ups in the future for fear of never being able to upgrade at all.

There decision is in a business blog post on this website (see link below). See under "SIMPLIFYING THE PLATFORM" where they state "Going forward, the Threadripper platform will now use a single “common infrastructure.” This means there will be one set of Threadripper PRO processors to choose from, with one CPU socket and chipset"

https://community.amd.com/t5/business/design-build-accelerate-on-the-ultimate-workstation-processor/... 

0 Likes
SerchTech
Adept I

IMO as X399 owner the main problem it is not a new CPU, TR 2590X is more than enough for me and my expectations.

The main problem is that AMD only offers new AGESA versions if you buy a new CPU and in the case of X399 and TRX40 turns these platforms as obsolete. This is complete disrespect to customers who did not intend to be part of AMD's marketing experiment.

I hope and wish that AMD continues to offer support via AGESA to X399 and TRX40 at least to fix, on my part not one more coin in CPUs or Motherboards.

Good health
0 Likes
nodybody
Journeyman III

AMD’s Next-Gen TRX50 Motherboards Listed By ASRock, Ready For Threadripper 7000 CPUs.

https://wccftech.com/amd-next-gen-trx50-motherboards-listed-asrock-ready-for-threadripper-7000-cpus/

0 Likes