cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

smurf
Adept I

is the backplate included in YD1700BBAEBOX

is the backplate for the cooler included in the box with the cpu and wraith spire cooler?

or does it come with the motherboard box?

when i built first ryzen #cooling system i remember removing the mb clips, but not where the backplate comes from

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Wraith CPU Coolers either clip-on or screwed Coolers and doesn't require a customized Motherboard Back Plate like other 3rd Party CPU Coolers.

All AM4 Motherboard comes with standard Motherboard CPU Cooler Back Plates with brackets for attaching Clip-On or using screwed down CPU Coolers like this one as an example:

With other 3rd Party CPU Coolers that aren't Clip-Ons, then you need to physically remove the original Motherboard Back Plate with the Clip-On Brackets and replace it with the customized Motherboard Back Plate needed to install the 3rd Party CPU Cooler.

The Ryzen 7 1700 comes with the Wraith Spire. You need to remove the AM4 Brackets and use the same Motherboard Back Plate to screw down and attach the Spire CPU Cooler to the Motherboard.

This YouTube shows clearly how to remove the AM4 Brackets and attach the Wraith Spire to the same Motherboard Back Plate: AMD Wraith Cooler Install 1700 - YouTube 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Stock coolers dont require the changing of the backplate.

0 Likes

what does that have to do with my question?

0 Likes

Backplates are attached to every motherboard.... So no, they do not come with the processors.

0 Likes

The Wraith CPU Coolers either clip-on or screwed Coolers and doesn't require a customized Motherboard Back Plate like other 3rd Party CPU Coolers.

All AM4 Motherboard comes with standard Motherboard CPU Cooler Back Plates with brackets for attaching Clip-On or using screwed down CPU Coolers like this one as an example:

With other 3rd Party CPU Coolers that aren't Clip-Ons, then you need to physically remove the original Motherboard Back Plate with the Clip-On Brackets and replace it with the customized Motherboard Back Plate needed to install the 3rd Party CPU Cooler.

The Ryzen 7 1700 comes with the Wraith Spire. You need to remove the AM4 Brackets and use the same Motherboard Back Plate to screw down and attach the Spire CPU Cooler to the Motherboard.

This YouTube shows clearly how to remove the AM4 Brackets and attach the Wraith Spire to the same Motherboard Back Plate: AMD Wraith Cooler Install 1700 - YouTube 

got it. the backplate was already part of the ga-x370 gaming k7 mb

Exactly, It is part of the Motherboard when it is manufactured.

Otherwise no one would be able to install a CPU Cooler without first installing a back plate.

This is a photo of the same Gigabyte Motherboard you have. Does the brackets look familiar from the YouTube Video? (-:

0 Likes