cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

murphzilla7
Journeyman III

Is Spiking CPU EDC and PPT normal?

Yesterday I changed my case and added 3 extra fans. I now have 3 fans per header (CPU & CHA & AIO) (all are set with mildly aggressive fan curve).

I'm not sure if i am going mad and i just never noticed it before or whether the case move/extra fans has caused this. When i launch Battlefield 5 for example or run a benchmark Ryzen Master shows EDC spikes up to 98% momentarily and PPT to 80-90%.

Question: 

Is this normal and i didn't notice it before?

is the 10C extra cooling i now get allowing more power to the CPU? (i.e not being throttled)

or have i maybe damaged something, or overloading MOBO with the changes?

Appreciate the advice 

I have not attempted any overclocking whatsoever

550W PSU, Asus A320M Gaming, Ryzen 5 3600, Nvidia 2070 Super, 16GB Ram 

0 Likes
3 Replies
mccharle
Elite

hello,

how have you installed the fans, front, top, rear, air flow suction/extraction ?

The airflow should be the same between suction and extraction if not you create the same phenomenon as in a forced convection oven.

0 Likes

Hello,

I have 2 at the top and 1 at the rear extracting, and 3 at the front sucking in. Temps are no problem whatsoever, i'm idling in the 20/30s. My question is about the EDC and PPT power spiking and whether that is related to the changes I've made or whether that is normal behavior

Thanks 

0 Likes

Spikes occurs on all Ryzen depending on AMD Ryzen Power Plan, balanced or high perfs and chipset drivers version. Not worry about that.

0 Likes