cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

aerophone
Journeyman III

Is Soc voltage increase needed for overclokcing *only* the CPU?

Hi! Long time lurker but first time poster.

Do i need to increase SoC voltage to overclock only the CPU. I tried to research about it on the net but every forum i visit always relates Soc voltage with memory OC, so  i couldn't arrive to a conclusion about effects of Soc voltage related exclusively to CPU oc. I'm getting a hard time stabilizing a Ryzen 2600 at 4.0ghz @1.3v. I'm using a Wraith Prism and memory currently at default 2666. Already getting 82ºC in stress testing so i'm reluctant into increasing Vcore even more.

Soc voltage is at default (set by motherboard) 0.87volt.

Thanks!

0 Likes
9 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

aerophone, please paste a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  How are you OCing - RM or BIOS?  Please do not do both because conflicts make a mess.  I suggest you try PBO in RM and see how it goes.  There are lots of functions in the SoC and it may help to increase the voltage a little if PBO does not.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: If you decide to try RM/PBO, Please do a Clear CMOS first using the instructions in your User Manual.

0 Likes
aerophone
Journeyman III

Hi misterj, than you.

I don't like using software for OC, have always used bios and jumpers since i overclocked my first AM5x86 in 1995.

I dont think my asus B450 Prime has PBO in bios... Maybe some other name? I thought only the X variants had PBO.

I'm using custom ratio and offset voltage so it clocks down in windows to save energy and lower temps.

"There are lots of functions in the SoC and it may help to increase the voltage a little if PBO does not."

So you're telling me one of the mechanisms of PBO is increasing SOC voltage to maintain stability, even when maintaining DDR4 at default settings?

thanks

0 Likes

Sorry, aerophone I do not know if PBO controls SoC voltage.  I am saying that if it does not, then do it manually.  I know nothing about your MB BIOS so cannot speculate about PBO possibility in BIOS.  Can you not post a screenshot of RM?  When opened, it comes up in read only mode and changes nothing.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
aerophone
Journeyman III

I installed it just for you

PBO is greyed out since it is exclusive to X sku's.

ryzen master.jpg

hwinfo1.jpg

hwinfo2.jpg

0 Likes

Thanks, aerophone .  Sorry I could not help you.  Good luck and have fun, John.

0 Likes
nosoulfound
Journeyman III

SOC voltage - System on chip usually set is 1.0 - 1.1, I set mine at 1.1 which is usually enough for most overclocks. Max voltage is up to 1.2.

0 Likes

Talking about cpu overclock exclusively, right?

Thanks.

0 Likes

Sorry misread your initial post, you do not need to increase soc voltage to get your CPU stable, as it effects mostly your memory controller/memory oc. ryzen 2600 safe core voltage increase can go up to 1.4(better to stay under 1.38), I would try increasing voltage more to try getting it stable, however you are already hitting 82C so best thing you could do would try saving for a better cooler. I would also increase soc voltage to 1.0 - 1.1 manually to make sure your memory is stable. 

0 Likes
aerophone
Journeyman III

A stealth came default with the 2600, already bought a prism... I'm hanging to it for now.

Meanwhile I was able to got it stable at 4.0ghz by increasing soc voltage offset by 3 steps.

That's kind of crazy that I had to increase voltages manually to stabilize ram at default speeds... Oh well, some ironing left to do on ryzen platform I guess...

0 Likes