Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

slam
Adept I

Is Ryzen 5 good for gaming?

Hi

I am trying to decide between 2 laptops one with a Core i5-7200U and 2GB MX110 graphics and one with AMD Ryzen 5 2500U and Radeon Vega 8 graphics. I need the laptop for school mostly but I also play Warframe a bit so which one will be better?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Vega 8 found in the 2500U typically performs in-between the Geforce 940MX found in the 7200U and the Geforce MX150 found in the 8250U.  So in the models you are comparing, the Vega 8 is faster.  The CPU is also slightly faster in single threaded execution, but as black_zion​ pointed out, you have twice the number of cores, so in multithreaded applications the performance can be twice as high on the CPU side.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ajlueke
Grandmaster

The fact that you are asking for an opinion on an Intel vs AMD product on and AMD forum, makes me wonder if you truly want an unbiased opinion.  Well here it is:  AMD is better, every time.

Seriously though, the Vega 8 graphics will be vastly superior to the iGPU found in that Intel model.  In fact, the AMD solution is better pretty much across the board.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2500U/m153577vsm378273

Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked it here is because I was not sure if the Vega 8 could really be better than the dedicated GeForce GPU.

0 Likes

The Vega 8 found in the 2500U typically performs in-between the Geforce 940MX found in the 7200U and the Geforce MX150 found in the 8250U.  So in the models you are comparing, the Vega 8 is faster.  The CPU is also slightly faster in single threaded execution, but as black_zion​ pointed out, you have twice the number of cores, so in multithreaded applications the performance can be twice as high on the CPU side.

They're about the same power, but the Ryzen 5 2500U has much higher performance than the Intel 7200U as the 7200U is a dual core and the 2500U is a quad core, and will also not be affected by any Spectre or Meltdown patches that Intel will.