Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

technostyle
Adept III
Adept III

Is my Ryzen CPU defective ?

Jump to solution

I have a problem with games. My AMD built PC (RX480 GPU & Ryzen  5 1600) is crashing at GTA IV, Metro Last Light, Metro 2033, Crysis1, Crysis Warhead, Dirt3: Complete Edition...

The interesting thing is, when PC freezed/ crashed, RGB LEDs of my graphics card is lighting red to white colours. It shows an error i think.
But also Ez debug led (CPU) of motherboard is indicating. (According to manual, it shows CPU faulty or no CPU found.)

Here is my topic about my GPU :ASUS STRIX RX 480 O8G Causing System Freeze
I tried different methods but couldn't solve the problem unfortunately.

So i don't know if my CPU or GPU or both are defective...
NOTE: CPU didn't overclocked. Stock speeds...
Today i tested my CPU with these methods:

1. AIDA64 stress test, 30 minutes --> NO CRASH.
  2. I run Cinebench R15 for 10 times with this method: When rendering ends i run it again immediately before the CPU gets cold. --> NO CRASH.
  3. I converted 885 mp3 files in 15 minutes to 320 kbps and again NO PROBLEM.
  4. I run OCCT stress test with default settings for 10 minutes --> NO ERROR.
  5. I rendered 1.5 Gigabytes video. I set highest bitrate etc. and the coding is H265 HEVC. It took 3 hours and 15 minutes. File size of the result video is 6 gigabytes. --> NO PROBLEM/ NO CRASHING. Utilization is nearly %100 for all 12 threads.
  6. I can surf on the web, watch Youtube videos etc. and didn't see BSOD.
  7. NEW: I run OCCT again for 1 hour --> NO ERROR. Also I run hwinfo at the last 30 minutes of OCCT. Again NO WHEA errors.

So, my stock speed CPU is stable/ non-defective ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
technostyle
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Is my Ryzen CPU defective ?

Jump to solution

Here is the result: I took my money back and bought ASUS Dual GTX 1060. Problem solved. GPU of my Strix graphics card was defective.

Don't judge me, there is no RX series graphics card because of the miners.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
26 Replies
rebelyell
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

well, as an overclocker for years ive seen alot of crashes lol.

in your case it sounds like the gpu driver is crashing hard which will of course through a cpu error since it froze the pc. since you stress tested the cpu without issues , i dont think your cpu has any issues.!  i do know know that gta and dirt is very gpu intensive engine games. is your gpu overclocked? or getting to hot.? might want to try a different driver.

0 Kudos
technostyle
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

I run OCCT again for 1 hours and no errors...
My GPU has factory overclock.
I tried raising the power target, lowering the frequency to stock clock of RX480 etc. but no luck...
I tried every driver from 16.11.5 to 17.5.2 but again no luck.
Probably my graphics card has a problem. I watched a lot of Youtube videos with people having the same/ similar problems. "I RMAed my graphics card and the new one works like a charm!" they said. I want to RMA mine but the CPU fault LED confuses me. Because of the Bitcoin miners, ASUS maybe can't give me new RX480. If stock problem persist after 15-20 days, they maybe give me Strix GTX 1060. Who knows?

0 Kudos
technostyle
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Also I saw errors sometimes. "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" even with Google Chrome.
Sometimes PC gets hard crash. But with the exact same game, sometimes it shows this error without crashing.
I'm not sure but everything shows the GPU.

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

dude theres another guy in here with same issue but his at full fukt.

go in windows defender and disable. play and see if it crashes. download malwarebytes and scan free trial, check settings to check root kits also.

go into device manager and open and look for yellow flags.!!!!!

dont use chrome for till fixed

then report back

0 Kudos
technostyle
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

I used Malwarebytes, Spybot, Microsoft Security Scanner, Windows Defender, Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool etc. and no harmful software were found...
There aren't any device with yellow flag or warnings.
I'll try to disable defender and run a game again...

0 Kudos
technostyle
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

I disabled Windows Defender and ran Metro 2033. Crashed again lol.

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

f your on win7 uninstall all updates back to january.! and disable updates there unneeded anyway.  if your on win 10 make sure your in game mode with relive turned off..

make sure crimson power efficiency is turned off and surface optimization, also change tessellation to application setting. turn off chill mode.

go in windows power management and set to windows performance not ryzen performance. set pcie power management too off. processor cooloing management to active.

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar
Exemplar

Jump to solution

f it keeps ocing the mhz too 1310. well go with it , move up voltage to stable it.

there 30 things we can try but its alot to type.

or hell just flash the bios too a rx580

0 Kudos
technostyle
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Win 10 Home 64 bit- up to date. (Creator's update didn't change the situation for crashing problem.)

I disabled auto updates and my GPU driver is 16.11.5 which people say is stable...

Crimson power efficiency and surface optimization are already turned off. Tessellation to app. settings --> already done.
Chill mode is already turned off...
I also disabled ULPS already.
PCI-E power management is already off.
Processor cooling management is active.
Power plans doesn't change the situation.

So, no solution with them unfortunately.

How many times i used "already" ?

0 Kudos