cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

corprate
Newcomer

Is my old Mother board compatible

I recently upgraded my graphics card and my old processor can't handle it and keeps overheating. I plan on doing a full rebuild in the near future, but until then I was wondering if my motherboard (AsusTek CM1855) would be compatible with newer processors, so that I can actually play games and stream.

0 Likes
8 Replies

That computer is Socket AM3+, so it is not compatible with new processors, which are Socket AM4.

0 Likes

Not sure if this is the EXACT computer you purchased. But if it is, you have a Motherboard that supports AM3+ CPUs.

Also if this is the same computer it has a very underpowered PSU of 300 Watts.

You didn't mention what GPU card you have installed nor what CPU you have installed.

See if your PSU meets the minimum requirements for the GPU Card your have installed: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX 

0 Likes

I just recently upgrade to an AMD RX580 and my power source is now 650. I know I need a new mother board but for now I want to buy the processor just to get it out of the way and then I'll put the build together when I get a new mother board.

0 Likes

I'm thinking of grabbing a AMD- 2200G Quad-Core. I don't need it to be the best i just need it to not overheat.

0 Likes

The R3 2200G is a fine CPU at a very affordable price with solid performance

0 Likes

Wait and buy the CPU, motherboard, and RAM at the same time, as there are often combo discounts for buying all at once.

0 Likes

black_zion wrote:

Wait and buy the CPU, motherboard, and RAM at the same time, as there are often combo discounts for buying all at once.

Combo deals tend to have obsolete components instead of better parts, useless power supplies are common in bundles, I use an AX860i which is not generally seen in bundles

0 Likes

That's why you buy from reputable websites. This bundle, for example.

0 Likes