Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

h3ndo08
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Is my FX-8350 running too hot?

Hi all,

I recently bought a new MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard and RAM for my PC and my FX-8350 is running hotter than it did before. I have a Noctua NH-U9S cooler which worked perfectly fine and kept the cpu cool before I upgraded the motherboard. I use HWMonitor to take the temperature readings and was wondering if 35-45c idle and 55-70c while gaming are ok temperatures for my cpu? I keep reading that the safe temp for the 8350 is around 61c but I'm not sure if it is dangerous at 70 or just "not recommended". Someone please help as I'm worried that I may be damaging my cpu while playing games

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
furrypony
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Is my FX-8350 running too hot?

Is the cpu overclocked? If it is then turn it down a little. Are you reading the package temperature from HWMonitor?

0 Kudos
h3ndo08
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

No, I haven't overclocked it. The temperatures get to 60c+ when all 8 cores are in use at around 4.1GHz each (however it only shows 50% usage in task manager).

I'm reading what I believe is the core temps in HWMonitor, they are under the cpu section and not the tmpin bit...from what I've read this is what to watch.

0 Kudos
furrypony
Adept II
Adept II

The temperature you're reading is most likely the motherboard vrm temps and if i'm not wrong it's usually 10c hotter than the cpu core temps and it can take up to 72c.

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon
Paragon

The cpu will shut itself down or throttle before it overheats. You won't damage it.

0 Kudos
h3ndo08
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I understood that the tmpin1 was the motherboard temp for the cpu on hwmonitor. I've been taking reading from the cpu section of hwmonitor which is the cores I believe.

So as long as it doesn't start shutting down because of overheating it should be fine?

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon
Paragon

Yes, the CPU section of HWmonitor shows a core temp which identical to speccy, hwinfo and afterburner. Keep in mind this is a calculated temp and unreliable at low temps (that nobody cares about).

0 Kudos
techguy
Forerunner
Forerunner

If you are actually reading the INTERNAL CPU temp and it is above 61C, then you need a higher capacity HSF or better airflow thru your PC case. The FX 8-core CPUs consume a lot of electrical power because they have 8 real cores functioning all the time. None of the currently available temp software reads the lower FX CPU temps accurately but they do read pretty accurate temps in the 60C-70C range as discussed in many of the FX-8350 overheating threads in this forum. The low temps don't mean anything because it's only the max temp that is of concern to the processor.

0 Kudos