Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

delevero
Adept III

Is my 5900x defect ?

Hello guys.

I own the 5900x cpu and i had problems from day one that my computer shut down in all games. Very long story short its the 5900x that is the problem.
I have the 570x gigabyte ultra motherboard and if i in bios load factory default settings and the cpu vcore is on auto, then no matter what game i play it will shut down the computer with the error kernel power id 41 ( 63 ).
But if i change the bios cpu vcore to example 1,375 or 1,4 volt then my system is rock steady.
I did ofcourse also suspect the ram was the problem but it dosent matter if they run at lowest speed or exampel via xmp at 3600mhz.. the computer crash if cpu vcore is on auto and not if its set to example 1,375volt.

I have build computers for 30 years ( for my self and friends/family ) and all other computers i ever build i just leave cpu vcore on auto and the pc work out of the box and is stable.
So the above is not something i think is normal behaviour.

I am wondering is my cpu defective and if should RMA the cpu ?
Also what voltage is safe to run the 5900x if i use cpu Vcore.. I see the chip on its  own sometimes goes up to 1,5volt, but
what voltage would you recommend i use ( 1,4volt seem good and rock steady ). Should i go higher ?

ps. I know about all the other bios setting tricks to make it stable such as voltage curves, undervolt ect.. but honestly i want my cpu to work out of the box on default and no overlocking or tweaks.. Its a cpu i will have for some years.
And im kind of thinking of RMA the cpu, i expect it to be able to run on auto out of the box so to speak

Thank you for your answer in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
PatX
Journeyman III

L.S.

Make sure you've latest Gigabyte x570 Release Bios (Non-Beta) installed for Gigabyte Ultra MB: F32 - AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.1.0.0 D and check that you've setup the Bios with correct (mostly default) values for your CPU and RAM (Do require settings).

Then first do test your RAM @3000 or @3200 speed using Passmark - MemTest86 see if it Test = Pass

Have you tested your CPU using Prime95: Options - Torture Test - Custom (Option) ?

Make sure with HWiNFO64 that the CPU temp remains in an acceptable range like 60-75 Celsius when running Prime95. 

See if any of the Worker #Threads Stops then check the Prime95: Results.txt for FATAL ERROR:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4997957145, expected less than 0.4
  Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Also try testing another Ryzen2 or Ryzen3 CPU in your Rig if available (Preferably with same TDP value) to see if this AMD CPU passes with same Bios settings and RAM.

If FATAL ERROR do occur with your CPU, you've most likely an defective CPU: First Request RMA at your HW Supplier they will then in turn issue an RMA request with AMD.

I've recently had issue with my AMD 3950x CPU on Gigabyte x570 Ultra F32 - were RAM was OK and my Rig worked fine with 3900x and 3700x and encountered Prime95 FATAL ERROR using my CPU, the 3950x Unit was returned to AMD on RMA.

Good look with your troubleshooting,

Kind Regards,

PatX

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PatX
Journeyman III

L.S.

Make sure you've latest Gigabyte x570 Release Bios (Non-Beta) installed for Gigabyte Ultra MB: F32 - AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.1.0.0 D and check that you've setup the Bios with correct (mostly default) values for your CPU and RAM (Do require settings).

Then first do test your RAM @3000 or @3200 speed using Passmark - MemTest86 see if it Test = Pass

Have you tested your CPU using Prime95: Options - Torture Test - Custom (Option) ?

Make sure with HWiNFO64 that the CPU temp remains in an acceptable range like 60-75 Celsius when running Prime95. 

See if any of the Worker #Threads Stops then check the Prime95: Results.txt for FATAL ERROR:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4997957145, expected less than 0.4
  Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

Also try testing another Ryzen2 or Ryzen3 CPU in your Rig if available (Preferably with same TDP value) to see if this AMD CPU passes with same Bios settings and RAM.

If FATAL ERROR do occur with your CPU, you've most likely an defective CPU: First Request RMA at your HW Supplier they will then in turn issue an RMA request with AMD.

I've recently had issue with my AMD 3950x CPU on Gigabyte x570 Ultra F32 - were RAM was OK and my Rig worked fine with 3900x and 3700x and encountered Prime95 FATAL ERROR using my CPU, the 3950x Unit was returned to AMD on RMA.

Good look with your troubleshooting,

Kind Regards,

PatX