cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

stevae
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Is MX-4 REALLY better than Artic Silver 5?

Jump to solution

I think it is, but would love to know what the consensus is. Also, what is the risk in using too much, versus not enough? I put more than the rice grain size, or pea size most advise for, because I have seen that it doesn't always go all the way to the sides, and can leave a big section uncovered. So I make a thin line all the way down each side, about 4mm inside, and then a pea sized dab right in the middle of the cpu. Most people will probably flame me for this, but my 1700 is oc'd almost an entire gig and stays under 78c running cinebench. So I'm open to hearing the pro's and con's of all of this. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gupsterg
Adept III
Adept III

Re: Is MX-4 REALLY better than Artic Silver 5?

Jump to solution

Der8auer also did a nice set of testing with TIMs, link. Personally as I had AS5 already and saw no point in spending for ~0.5°C never tried another TIM. I may get Noctua NT-H1 when the AS5  tube is depleted.

I was using ~large rice grain size of TIM, spread via a plastic card edge. I like this method as I think I'm not waiting for TIM to spread, etc from usage/pressure of HS. What I have found after owning 4x Ryzen CPU is they all seem to have a dimple in the centre of IHS (ie convex). The ThermalRight Archon IB-E X2 I use also has a slight convex base. I found after lapping the base of HS I stopped having bad mounts on the Ryzen CPUs and use less TIM.

In this linked image (right click link open in new tab) the top two photos are removing HS recently from my 4th CPU, it had been tightened down for ~3-4 days. Then I lapped HS, respread the remainder of TIM left on IHS, placed HS just by hand on CPU (middle row of two photos), much better contact. Then the lower 2 photos are of me removing the cooler again a few days later.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
black_zion
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution
hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

Jump to solution

I use MX-4 and it works well for anything a gamer needs

I am sure MX-4 would work fine with the AMD Threadripper processors etc

0 Kudos
gupsterg
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Der8auer also did a nice set of testing with TIMs, link. Personally as I had AS5 already and saw no point in spending for ~0.5°C never tried another TIM. I may get Noctua NT-H1 when the AS5  tube is depleted.

I was using ~large rice grain size of TIM, spread via a plastic card edge. I like this method as I think I'm not waiting for TIM to spread, etc from usage/pressure of HS. What I have found after owning 4x Ryzen CPU is they all seem to have a dimple in the centre of IHS (ie convex). The ThermalRight Archon IB-E X2 I use also has a slight convex base. I found after lapping the base of HS I stopped having bad mounts on the Ryzen CPUs and use less TIM.

In this linked image (right click link open in new tab) the top two photos are removing HS recently from my 4th CPU, it had been tightened down for ~3-4 days. Then I lapped HS, respread the remainder of TIM left on IHS, placed HS just by hand on CPU (middle row of two photos), much better contact. Then the lower 2 photos are of me removing the cooler again a few days later.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
stevae
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

This is a very helpful answer, however the image link does not work. Can you please re-enter the pics, as I'd love to see them. It is very helpful. Thanks for your response. I also appreciate Black_zion and hardcoregames responses. Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
gupsterg
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

No worries , right click link and open in tab works, for some odd reason clicking the link doesn't work for me as well.

IMO the lower images are correct TIM spread. As said before I used a plastic card to spread TIM on IHS, so it was equally flatish. Now the lower images are after several days of HS being tighten on CPU. Due to the IHS being a little convex the TIM has spread out to outer edges and centre has met HS nicely with ever so thin TIM, which is ideal. Thin TIM will allow best transfer IMO. TIM has lower conductivity than say the metal to metal contact.

I plan to lap IHS on CPU when I find the golden Ryzen .

0 Kudos
stevae
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Yeah, agreed.  I like the lower pics as well. I will use a spreader from now on as well. Because when I was just using a small pea size, mine looked like the first pics as well. Thanks for the pics and explanation. I'm trading in my mobo for a new one, so I will be using this technique in the next week or so.

0 Kudos
gupsterg
Adept III
Adept III

Jump to solution

Sweet .

I just cut a sort of 10mm wide strip off plastic card and use that. I'd also get a metal ruler edge and place on HS base and check across length/width how flat it is. The ThermalRight Archon IB-E X2 was flat across it's length but the width was where the curve was. See these images of when lapping it how the nickel plate came off. Here is image of how much TIM I used prior to lapping HS base. Now I use ~1/4 to 1/3 the amount.

0 Kudos