Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

is Athlon II X2 compatible windows 10 64 bits

Bonjour, I have Windows 10 32 bits with motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H and Athlon II X2 250 processor.

Can I upgrade to windows 10 64 bits. In other wors "does my processor compatible with windows 10 64 bits"

Merci si réponse disponible

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: is Athlon II X2 compatible windows 10 64 bits

Yes your AMD CPU can run Windows 64-bit operating systems. Some of your software may however be 32-bit so you will need to understand what will work and what will need to run in 32-bit compatibility mode. You may not see any performance difference moving from 32-bit to 64-bit with this low power CPU but you may be able to use a little more RAM depending on your mobo design, etc.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon%20II%20X2%20250%20-%20ADX250OCK23GM%20(ADX250OCGMBOX).h...

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Hello,

Your processor is compatible with win 64 bit, but unless you have more than 3 gb of RAM it's not worth the upgrade.

That's the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit OS, the amount of RAM the machine can use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Thank's to techguy and balmy for their answers but why did I ask this question?

Because I found on another forum that some old 64 bits CPUs are not Win 10 compatible if they don't have SS2, EM64T (or AMD64) and VT-x (or VT-d) instructions and as I am concerned only SS2 is present.

But on a third forum I found an information which is different It is mentionned: When a CPU is windows 8.1 compatible, consequetly it is Windows 10 compatible.  AND my CPU is windows 8.1  compatible.

Do you get my confusion?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Yeah, I get it.

What I'm trying to tell you is that unless you have more than 3 Gb of Ram, it's not worth the upgrade, because you won't feel the difference between an 32 bit system  and a 64 bit system.

So to simplify things:

3Gb of Ram or less - go for 32 bit Windows

4Gb or more - go for 64 bit Windows

Plus I would't change the OS before checking if the drivers are compatible with 64 bit OS and Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Well, I perfectly understood what you tall me.

I know that the benefit of upgrading to win 10 64 bits will be poor with my hardware even if Ihave 4 GB RAM installed (I have another 4GB available so I can install 8 GB)

My first idea was to upgrade the hardware also (motherboard and processor) but in this case my win10 licence is no more valid and i have to purchase a new one.

But my initial question remain :"is my processor compatible with Windows 10 64 bits"

I think my motherboard is compatible: (Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

It is.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

OK thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

The 64 bit computers can run both 32bit programs and 64 bit programs. 32 bit computers cannot run 64 bit programs, because the bit sizes are fundamentally different. Latest Laptops with pre-installed Windows are usually x64 i.e. 64 Bit, old Desktops and Laptops could be having Windows x86 which means 32 bit.

When 64 bit processors compatible with the x86 architecture were introduced, they were referred to as x86-64. x86-32 (and x86-16) were used for the 32 (and 16) bit versions. This was eventually shortened to x64 for 64 bit and x86 alone refers to a 32 bit processor. The 32 bit processors are designed to handle a limited amount of physical memory maximum of 4GB but 64 bit can handle high memory utilizing 8,16 and some even32 GB.

0 Kudos