cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bddewis
Journeyman III

Is a Ryzen 3 1200 compatible with Windows 7 Pro?

I have A Ryzen 3 1200 mounted on an MSI B350 PC MATE. I have installed the current MSI Flash BIOS that includes support for Windows 7 Pro including USB Drivers. Setup can see the USB Mouse and Keyboard but when Windows begins the install on a virgin WD 10EZEX 1 Tb hard drive the mouse and keyboard will not function.

Did I get the wrong CPU? Is there another Socket AM4 that will work or is there a BIOS fix from AMD that I must also flash?

Thank you in advance for your help with this very frustrating build that I have going o!

0 Likes
5 Replies

AMD only supplies the information to the Motherboard's Manufacturer for their BIOS to work with AMD Hardware/CPU/APU. It up to the Motherboard's Manufacturer to update BIOS on their motherboards.

According to MSI Support for your motherboard. : Support For B350 PC MATE | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global​.

Found this under FAQ concerning your motherboard and Mouse & Keyboard:

B350 PC MATE support installation of Windows 7?

Yes, but due to the UEFI limitation, only PS/2 keyboard & mouse can be operated under the intanstallt

From the above answer in the FAQ from MSI Support concerning your Motherboard and Windows 7, under UEFI BIOS it doesn't support USB mice or keyboard only PS/2 connection.
I imagine if you put your BIOS into Legacy mode as first choice and UEFI as second, The USB mice and keyboard may start working normally again.
I downloaded your Motherboard's Manual and copied all pages concerning USB MIce & Keyboard and Legacy and UEFI modes:
The last image under BIOS BOOT section explains about Legacy and UEFI modes for your BIOS.
I have attached the PDF Manual for your motherboard from where I copied the above images for you to inspect.
0 Likes

Thank you for the information. When I was in Setup, I saw the Legacy + UEFI choice. I will give that a shot.

Hopefully this will do the trick. In the mean time I have a PS/2 mouse and Keyboard on the way. I found that simply using an USB to PS/2 adapter will not work.

0 Likes

That information concerning Windows 7 in FAQ, I am not sure if it means that you need to have a PS/2 connection WHILE installing Windows 7 on your motherboard or in general you need PS/2 connection with Windows 7. I may have misunderstood what it meant when i first made the post. But later thinking about it, I realized that it was probably talking about during the Installation of Windows 7 is when you need a PS/2 connected mice and keyboard. Later on with USB 3.0 drivers installed, your USB Mice and keyboard should work normally.

I know you need to do a special procedure to install Windows 7 because USB doesn't work during the installation of Windows 7. But I suspect that USB mice and keyboard should work normally AFTER Windows 7 has been installed with USB 3.0 Drivers.

Try the Legacy + UEFI mode and see if your USB Mouse and Keyboard are recognized. Also be sure to download and install the MSI AMD CHIPSET for your motherboard which should include USB Controller driver Windows 7.

I have an Asus Motherboard and I have Legacy and UEFI mode activated. That way I know that any legacy hardware will work on my motherboard.

Anyway, let me know what happens. You shouldn't need a PS/2 connection AFTER installing Windows 7 only during Windows 7 Installation.

If you ordered a PS/2 mouse & keyboard you may want to cancel until you know for sure that is the case. I hate to see you waste your money purchasing a needless hardware.

I would open a MSI Support ticket and ask them about USB support under Windows 7 for your motherboard.

Copied this from the PDF Manual that I posted concerning installing Windows 7 on your motherboard:

0 Likes

Thank you for your input. Yes, as soon as Windows begins installing the mouse and keyboard no longer function.

I did the M Flash for the BIOS as well. The other Drivers will require Windows up and running in order to install them.

I just received a PS/2 mouse and keyboard and I will try the installation of Win 7 a bit later this afternoon.

If you wish, I can update you.

Thanks again.

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018, 7:27:57 PM PDT, elstaci <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv2770406212 * #yiv2770406212 a #yiv2770406212 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv2770406212 #yiv2770406212 h1, #yiv2770406212 h2, #yiv2770406212 h3, #yiv2770406212 h4, #yiv2770406212 h5, #yiv2770406212 h6, #yiv2770406212 p, #yiv2770406212 hr {}#yiv2770406212 .yiv2770406212button td {}

|

Community

Re: Is a Ryzen 3 1200 compatible with Windows 7 Pro?

in Processors

That information concerning Windows 7 in FAQ, I am not sure if it means that you need to have a PS/2 connection WHILE installing Windows 7 on your motherboard or in general you need PS/2 connection with Windows 7.

I know you need to do a special procedure to install Windows 7 because USB doesn't work during the installation of Windows 7. But I suspect that USB mice and keyboard should work normally AFTER Windows 7 has been installed with USB 3.0 Drivers.

Try the Legacy + UEFI mode and see if your USB Mouse and Keyboard are recognized. Also be sure to download and install the MSI AMD CHIPSET for your motherboard which should include USB Controller driver Windows 7.

I have an Asus Motherboard and I have Legacy and UEFI mode activated. That way I know that any legacy hardware will work on my motherboard.

Anyway, let me know what happens. You shouldn't need a PS/2 connection AFTER installing Windows 7 only during Windows 7 Installation.

If you ordered a PS/2 mouse & keyboard you may want to cancel until you know for sure that is the case. I hate to see you waste your money purchasing a needless hardware.

I would open a MSI Support ticket and ask them about USB support under Windows 7 for your motherboard.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes

Yes, please update the post if the PS/2 mouse and keyboard work during the installation of Windows 7 and if you are able to install Windows 7 properly.

0 Likes