cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

andreik77
Adept I

Is a bent/broken leg of OEM CPU covered by AMD guarantee (for AMD partner/reseller)?

I bought an OEM CPU (AMD Athlon X4 840 FM2+ OEM) from a reseller. It was handed to me in sealed blister from another CPU (bigger) without filling. As there was not a microscope to check it I accepted my order without opening. When opened I saw some bent pins, one of them was bent up to the base. I tried to unbend it very carefully but without success - anyway the pin was broken.

I know that guarantee is a significant part in the overall CPU price.

The question is: is a bent/broken leg of OEM CPU covered by AMD guarantee (for AMD partner/reseller)?

0 Likes
1 Solution

AMD Warranty doesn't cover bent or broken pins, at least on Consumer Processors. Also if the Processor was sold to you wasn't in its original AMD packaging and thus was damaged, it probably wouldn't be covered anyways. You need to go to the reseller and ask them to replace it for you.

Here is AMD Warranty on Processors FAQ. Mentions about OEM Processors:AMD Processor Warranty Coverage and Eligibility - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

So according to AMD, OEM Processors are covered by the Reseller who purchased the processors from AMD. AMD Warranty doesn't cover OEM Processors sold to OEM Resellers, Manufacturers, etc.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
maddyn
Journeyman III

https://www.amd.com/de/support/kb/warranty-information/pib-step2 

You will find the informations you need here. I hope that this can help you.

AMD Warranty doesn't cover bent or broken pins, at least on Consumer Processors. Also if the Processor was sold to you wasn't in its original AMD packaging and thus was damaged, it probably wouldn't be covered anyways. You need to go to the reseller and ask them to replace it for you.

Here is AMD Warranty on Processors FAQ. Mentions about OEM Processors:AMD Processor Warranty Coverage and Eligibility - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 

So according to AMD, OEM Processors are covered by the Reseller who purchased the processors from AMD. AMD Warranty doesn't cover OEM Processors sold to OEM Resellers, Manufacturers, etc.

0 Likes
laurie5
Journeyman III

It might be worth listing it on the bay with full explanation. You may be able to recoup some cash tell subway. Can people fix this with skill? Someone else with more experience than me can chime.

Bent pins can be fixed if carefully and properly done. broken pins is another matter. For the majority of most Users it is beyond their skills in repairing a broken processor pin.

0 Likes

Thank you. In my case I received a CPU with a leg bent down to base, the material proved to be too weak to straight it up even very carefully. One important question remains - what is the proper packing for OEM CPU, adequate for selling to the end user? Are there any official suggestions by AMD? In what packing bulk CPUs are sent to resellers?

0 Likes

From what I have read, AMD sells OEM Processors in Trays. One Tray could consist of many processors packed in each one.  Then the company that purchases the Tray removes the processors and uses it the way they want. If that involves selling it to a customer, then it is the company's obligation to properly package the processor so that it won't get damaged. I presume AMD Warranty only goes to the company that purchased the AMD Tray of processors from any defective or damaged processors inside the tray but ends there. The Warranty of the processors is now the responsibility of the company that purchased the tray of processors and not AMD. Since AMD has no responsibility on how the tray of processors are going to be handled or used by the company including selling it to the company's customers.

To answer your question, I am sure AMD does have packaging specs for shipping processors so as to not get damaged and arrive safely to the End User, but it is up to the reseller to follow those specs. Plus I don't know if AMD packaging specs is public knowledge where the reseller can find out or inquire about it. That is why AMD Warranty stops at the reseller since they have no control on how the processors will be used or shipped.

Here is an example of several OEM AMD Ryzen trays that are sold to Resellers/Vendors:

The image is showing 12 Ryzen processors in each tray.

If you only have one broken pin on the processor, it may not prevent the processor from working. The broken pin could be a redundant pin such as a ground pin. 

Only way to find out is by installing the processor and stress testing it to see if it works correctly. If it does then you know the pin wasn't a vital pin to the operation of the processor.

But I would only do this if the Reseller refuses to replace the processor with a new one.

Yes, my stupid reseller refuses to replace the bad processor. Soon I will get a top-in-line Athlon II x4 from Ali for 15 bucks. The CPU like mine would cost there about 5 bucks but it was not available. It will be used but I'm sure all legs will be fine, if not it will be refunded easily. I think it's the better solution in my case. The reseller sacrified his reputation for 5 bucks.

techgeeks
Journeyman III

AMD's warranty policies may vary depending on the specific circumstances and the terms of the warranty agreement. In general, physical damage to a CPU, such as a bent or broken leg, is typically not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. Warranties usually cover defects in materials or workmanship, rather than damage caused by mishandling or improper installation. Myindigocard 

If the CPU leg is bent or broken due to mishandling or improper installation, it is unlikely that AMD would cover it under their warranty. The warranty typically covers manufacturing defects, such as non-functional or faulty CPUs out of the box. Mysubwaycard 

To determine the warranty coverage for your specific situation, it is best to review the warranty terms and conditions provided by AMD or consult with the AMD partner/reseller from whom you purchased the CPU. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate information regarding warranty coverage and any available options for repair or replacement. 

0 Likes