cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

r3izy1
Adept I

Is 94 degrees too much?

Recently i have bought an ryzen 5 3600 processor paired with 5700 xt 50th anniversary editon. Works great but while playing some games i.e. Cod Warzone i get temps up to 94 degrees to processor and max of 99 for the Gpu.
I've read online that the 5700 xt is fine until 110 degrees so i am not worrying too much about it but i haven't found same answer for the Cpu. i have NOT overclocked my processor, my case airfolow is NOT the problem, i have the stock cooler for the Cpu tho. 4 fans. Can bring my Cpu temps under 85 degrees while playing if i lower the voltage in bios.
But it also costs some performance, should i keep it as it is now or is it ok if i get the voltage back up making the cpu be around 95 degrees in games. Will it melt or damage it?

0 Likes
1 Solution
r3izy1
Adept I

Please add me on discord if you know how to help me, i have now ideea how to use ryzenmaster.
R3izy1#4878

View solution in original post

0 Likes
24 Replies

Those are right there on the cusp of thermal maximum for both your CPU and GPU, much higher than I'd ever want to get, but the thermal maximum for your CPU is 95*C and GPU is 100*C, at that they're going to throttle, so it's safe.

The GPU temperature makes sense, the cooler is garbage and the card is known to run hotter than heck which kills performance, but your CPU shouldn't be getting anywhere near that hot. Are you using Ryzen Master to monitor your temperatures, and is your BIOS fully updated?

Yeah, i ve read that the gpu is fine until 110 degrees so i am not worried about that, but i have lowered the voltage to 1.3 and auto and it lowered my temperature by an average of 10 degrees, i have not updated my bios since i have gotten my pc ( 3 days ago) but i will and will update this post!

0 Likes

Worth checking is the supplied CPU cooler. Make sure the base is smooth and flat. There have been many reports of the heat pipes not being flush with the cooler surface causing poor contact. I can tell you that my cooler had no defect but the processor ran too hot for my liking with the supplied cooler. I have a 3600 and went with a cooler master 212 evo. Cheap and keeps very cool. Never see the processor above 78 under load. Idles in the low 30's.

0 Likes

I have the stock cooler and i have it installed by an experencied person, with the cable management on point, i really doubt he would mess up anything .

0 Likes

It has nothing to do with a person messing it up. The flushness has to be checked with a micrometer to see imperfections, a person no matter how experienced can miss this. Unless you are specifically looking for this it is easy to miss. Again this has been an issue commonly brought up across many forums with these coolers. Another possibility would be an issue with the thermal paste application or type, since you believe your case cooling to be adequate. Or it could be a fan running too slow on the cooler. You should be able to load Ryzen Master if you have not already and check the RPM speed of the fan.

0 Likes

I have the AMD RGB cooler, I use Arctic MX-4 and my CPU is so cool even abusive workloads

0 Likes
r3izy1
Adept I

I will update my bios tomorrow and come up with an update post!
I have one more question though, ryzen master shows about 10-15 less degrees than msi afterburner, which is the right one?
I assume the ryzen master is the right one cause i think at 95 degrees my pc would freeze or restart, or at the very least i would have lower performance.

Also thank every single one of you for your answers!

0 Likes

Ryzen Master is the correct software.

0 Likes
colbykz1
Journeyman III

Make sure your BIOS is updated, I know some early BIOS were overvolting the CPU's ridiculously, If you know how, check and see where the cpu voltage sits under load. 

0 Likes
r3izy1
Adept I

UPDATE: I have updated my bios and no change whatsoever, temperature still high af, but read somewhere that the processor will not suffer any damage due to the amd over and underclocking/volting, is that true?

0 Likes

There is always a risk that changing processor from default settings can ruin it. No in most cases it will not. AMD however says that doing so does void the warranty. However they don't have to be told you did it and they can't tell either unless it is really burned up. 

0 Likes

I mean from the automatic AMD overclocking and underclocking, i will not overlcock my pc myself since i have no ideea how to.

0 Likes

rest your bios to defaults and use the power saver plan in windows

0 Likes
r3izy1
Adept I

I have changed my power options from balanced to power saver and my cpu temps have drastically reduced, but so has my performance, isnt there any way to balance those things in the power settings?

0 Likes

r3izy1 wrote:

I have changed my power options from balanced to power saver and my cpu temps have drastically reduced, but so has my performance, isnt there any way to balance those things in the power settings?

I use power saver and i have no problems as the machine will perk up when the demand needs it

0 Likes

Well, i need to stay at 144 fps at least in games, and in valorant for example i get a minimum of 90 which is really bad. With the power options on balanced it doesnt go under 144 ever.

0 Likes

valorant is still recent so expect some problems

if you want 144 Hz you best have the most powerful card out there to keep up

0 Likes

I think my GPU is powerful enough:)

0 Likes

r3izy1 wrote:

I think my GPU is powerful enough:)

what is the native resolution of your LCD

0 Likes

1920x1080

0 Likes

r3izy1 wrote:

1920x1080

then you should be ok, i play at 4K which is brutal for video cards

0 Likes

You can try an aftermarket cooler, since if it is a defective cooler by the time you pay RMA shipping you'll be at about the same price level as well as having been without your computer for upwards of several weeks depending on where you live.

You can also try to manually overclock in BIOS, sacrificing very minimal single core performance to gain much more multi core performance. For example, my 3700X can do 4.3ghz @ 1.2v all core, that's much higher clocks and lower voltage than AMD sets for it, and only sacrifices 100mhz under single core.

Also, post a screenshot of Ryzen Master while under idle conditions as well as while running Cinebench R20 CPU (NOT Single Core) test. I want to see what the readouts are.

I'd also like to see you buy a tube of Arctic MX-4 and clean the old TIM off the heatsink and CPU with 91% alcohol (alternatively, much easier, using Arcticlean) and apply new MX-4 and see if it lowers the temperatures.

I tried to get the OP to look at these possibilities. Maybe the OP will listen to you?

0 Likes
r3izy1
Adept I

Please add me on discord if you know how to help me, i have now ideea how to use ryzenmaster.
R3izy1#4878

0 Likes