cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

universe1701
Journeyman III

Is 40 - 50c on idle the normal temp for the 3800x?

As I am exploring the "Internets", high temps for the 3800x seem to be a common theme.  So is it normal for this cpu to be running on these temps?  and what of the longevity?  

This is my newly built rig:

Thermaltake V200 Mid-Tower case with 3 120mm fans in the front and one 120mm Rear Fan.
Ryzen 7 3800x cooled by a wraith prism.
MSI MPG X570 motherboard
MSI Twin Frozr 7 Geforce Rtx 2070 Super
Corsair Vengeance 32 GB, 3200 mhz

My 3800x seems to be running on idle anywhere between 40 - 50c.  Stress tests peak at around 75 - 80c.  Typical modern PC games seem to go "consistently" around 70c at high settings, although it does touch 80c for a second before the fan speed brings it back down. 

I have all the latest bios and chipset drivers. I have removed the stock thermal paste from the CPU fan and put in Arctic MX4 thermal compound.  Checked about three times that the heat sink is properly placed over the chip.  I also have my cpu fan on a speed curve:

40c at 25%
55c at 50%
70c at 75%
85c at 100%

(I did run my cpu fan manually at 100% for about 10 minutes and never got below 34)

One thing I did notice that the voltages can reach up to 1.4 and 1.5, although seems to be mostly at around 1.2 and 1.3. 

I am aware that the max temp for the 3800x is 95c, but my previous processors never gave me these numbers. 

Below is a screenshot of my ryzen master and coreTemp.

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

0 Likes
6 Replies

That's perfectly fine. The Wraith Prism is not the strongest cooler out there, though it is nice for a stock, and the thermal maximum for the Ryzen 3000 series is 95*C. Running in the 80s isn't going to damage it.

0 Likes

Why do reviews show the CPU idling mostly between 26 degrees Celsius and 32 degrees and when at 100% load at around 52* C to 56* C?

Is this degrees over ambient room temperature then?

I have DeepCool GamerStorm Captain 240 Pro V2 on my stock Ryzen 3800X and it idles at around 42 degrees C and loads at 68*C after 15 mins of burning in a 100% load test. 

Seems kinda hot, no according to all these reviews stating theyre idling at 26 and 100% loading at 56 degrees??

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

universe1701, those temperatures are just fine.  I agree with black_zion, and go further.  Running in the 90Cs is fine.  AMD Ryzens are different from any other processor.  Some semiconductors run constantly at 150C - example 1000 Ampere rectifiers.

BTW, all Ryzen 3000 series maximum temperature is not 95C.  All series of all Threadrippers maximum temperature is 68C.  I also think some other 3000s may not be 95C - check the specifications for each model.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT:  It is not a good idea to run more than one monitoring applications at once.  And some after market applications (eg, HWinfo) jazz the processor to get the readings.

0 Likes

Im running my 3800X with a NZXT X63 AIO, mine idles at 50 degrees and under stress it rarely exceeds 70 degrees. Is this kind of idle normal? 

0 Likes

It is stock for the chip to run this way yes but if you want to cool it down go into ryzen master and manually set it to 4.3ghz all core at 1.25v and it will drop your temp and boost performance. I did this with mine and got my idle temps down to 34 to 38c

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

Yes its normal zen2 cpus have retarded temperature control, beside the heat density on these is abysmal, hence sudden temp jumps that aren't easy to cool off. 

Buy AIO, it will help a little, since it has more inertia. 

0 Likes