cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

pi-yai
Adept I

Impossible WIN10 installation. Is my problem a CPU failure ?

Hello,
could you please help me ?
After explaining the problem on a computer forum, I received responses that suggest a CPU failure. I would like your opinion.

Problem encountered: 

On a new configuration, impossible to install Windows 10, the installation media (USB key or DVD) does not boot: after the dots rotating  in circle, the PC restarts in loop. 
Windows 7 installation was possible, but the installation of WIN10 from WIN7 remains impossible. At some point the computer needs to reboot, and then the same problem occurs and the installation is canceled, with an error message relating to the boot.
Hardware used: 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600x 
MB: 2 motherboards tried, with exactly the same problem: MSI B450-A Pro Max, and then Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, with of course BIOS versions supporting the Ryzen 3600x 
RAM: 2 * 8 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz C16 (this memory ref CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 is included in the list of RAM compatible with the Gigabyte motherboard) SSD: Samsung 860 EVO (500GB), which worked with WIN10 on my previous config
Trials carried out on the installation media: 
- USB key created with Windows media creation tools
- several USB keys tested: they boot well on another PC
- DVD burned from an ISO image downloaded from the microsoft site
- USB key created from an ISO image and the Rufus software 
- USB key created from an ISO image of an old version of WIN10 and the Rufus software 
None of the above solutions work. 
However, a USB key created with an image WIN7 ISO and MSI smart tools software allows to install WIN7, whether with  MSI or Gigabyte MB.
Trials carried out on the 2 MB BIOS: 
- different settings tested, in particular UEFI only, deactivation of secure boot, RAM frequency setting ... 
- different BIOS versions flashed
- Clear CMOS before changes to the settings
RAM trials: 
- 2 dual channel strips 
- one strip (the first one, then the other one) 
- test with a RAM strip from another PC: G SKILL Aegis Gaming Series 4 Go - DDR4 2133 Mhz Case 15
Trials carried out on the motherboard: 
- Connection of the bare essentials. 
- Tests with the USB2 front panel sockets and also rear USB2 sockets. 
- Disassembly and then complete reassembly (including CPU)
1 Solution
pi-yai
Adept I

Hello everyone!

My problem is now solved. I asked for AMD warranty and they sent me a new CPU. I would like to thank AMD for their service to customers because everything went easy and quick. Once the new CPU in place, I could install win10 immediatly without any change in the BIOS. 

So I can say now that my problem was a CPU failure.

One guy on a french forum told me that despite I  could install win7 the problem could be linked to the CPU. We was right!

Thanks to everybody for having help me!

View solution in original post

21 Replies