cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Adept I
Adept I

If I buy an APU and use it with a much powerful GPU. Am I making any sense to it? Or should I just buy an FX?

I've always wanted to see an honest to great answer so I can end a decision on what to buy and pair it with.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Adept II
Adept II

Re: If I buy an APU and use it with a much powerful GPU. Am I making any sense to it? Or should I just buy an FX?

With DX12 (and Vulcan?) games; both GPUs will be used, much like 2 graphics cards in SLI are/used to be.

Multi-GPU DirectX 12 shootouts show AMD with performance lead over Nvidia | Ars Technica

But that's not what's really interesting/possible!:

We can but hope that this is what AMD is up to?

If it in fact is; we can look forward to a killer APU that will dominate in the CPU/APU space, as well as augment any graphics card one might choose to use.

(Mods:  I hope you are passing these ideas on up the chain!?    )

Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: If I buy an APU and use it with a much powerful GPU. Am I making any sense to it? Or should I just buy an FX?

If you have a much more powerful GPU than the integrated graphics in the APU, then integrated will be disabled, and should not factor in your decision. A-Series APUs are still OK, but limited to 4 cores. FX-8350 or FX-6350 should afford better performance. Of course, pricing and power use might also be factors. Ryzen is available now, so consider that also.

Adept I
Adept I

I'll be looking forward to all this. We'll see what AMD will do.  

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Ryzen is valued much more higher than the i7, that's in my country. So FX is my only bet. But maybe prices are just wrong.

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

Really!? Talk about raining on the parade!

If you follow the 1st link I provided:

on4V8oXnTpu7-300x414.png

https://community.amd.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Fgaming%2F2016%2F02%...

You can see that DX12 is quite capable of using completely disparate graphics cards, from different vendors even, to improve graphics performance in an additive way.
In fact when you look at the performance from mixing Nvidia and AMD cards its obvious that DX12 is capable of making the most of the strengths of both technologies to improve performance synergistically!

ashes_of_the_singularity_explicit_multi_gpu_mode_geforce_radeon_fury_980-100646576-orig.png

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3036760/hardware/the-impossible-has-happened-radeon-and-geforce-come-...

Nvidia, AMD Cross-SLI Tested In DirectX 12 Ashes Of The Singularity - DX12 Explicit Multi-Adapter In...

ie: Switching off APU, or IGPU, when a new dedicated graphics card is added to a system just does not make sense anymore.
I dont know what the current status quo is or was with APUs and GPUs, but can say that; as AMD, through Vulcan, was instrumental in getting MS to pull its finger out its arse and release DX12  I very much doubt whether that will continue to be the case.

(MS even forced Win 10 down everyones throats to avoid Linux+Vulcan gaming and I note that the thread scheduling in Linux is superior to Windoze's..!)

It also just does not make sense to disable a large, very fast cache of HBM RAM that close to the CPU and probably easily connected the Infinity Fabric Bus.
If they are that short sighted I will use the software in the 2nd link and PrimoCache to use said RAM as a SSD/HDD cache.

Lastly; disabling a GPU that close to the CPU, when it could be helping with the CPU's weaker points is also not the kind of thing one should be doing when taking on Intel!

As AMD has been at the forefront of General-purpose computing on graphics processing units:

General-purpose computing on graphics processing units - Wikipedia

http://gpuopen.com/professional-compute/

http://gpgpu.org/

I doubt/hope this will not be the case in the new APUs..?

0 Kudos
Miniboss
Miniboss

heh, I certainly don't mean to rain on the parade.

There is good reason for optimism for the future, since the hardware is there - APUs starting with Kaveri are DirectX 12 compatible, and Vulkan also supports multi-GPU.

As of the writing of the 2 most recent articles linked above - Feb 2016 - it may be reasonable to say that the parade is only getting started, but there are still hurdles to clear on the way...

1. These studies looked at 2 discrete GPUs, and I haven't yet seen the asymmetric multi-GPU (= integrated GPU (APU) + discrete GPU) pairing tested.

2. The use of Explicit Multi Adapter requires programming at the application level, and only 1 game (Ashes of the Singularity) featured support. More games have since added support - Tom Clancy's The Division, Hitman, and there are more on the way.

Getting back to the original question, if you are making an APU purchase today, then consider whether asymmetric multi-GPU via DirectX 12 or Vulkan will be a factor during the useful lifetime of those processors. Right now, it looks like it could happen, but you probably shouldn't count on it being widely available soon.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

All apps/progs support this? You mean I can use an A10-7870k with a GTX? And it will perform as whole?

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

So there are games that support APU+Discrete GPU performance?

0 Kudos
Adept II
Adept II

No not all apps/games support it:
As I understand it the in discrete and integrated graphics card/chip both have to support DX12.

Different cards have different levels of support:

Demystifying DirectX 12 support in Windows 10: What AMD, Intel, and Nvidia do and don't deliver - Ex...

Then the game or app must be DX12 and have this feature built in.
Microsoft is/has? brought an API that makes it easy for game devs to do so, so we should be seeing a lot of new games with this capability.

DirectX 12 Multiadapter: Lighting up dormant silicon and making it work for you – DirectX Developer ...

a1d8be878ce13a228685fb44dcec32b5-650-80.png

DirectX 12 will be able to use your integrated GPU to improve performance | PC Gamer

Mantle, Vulcan and DX12 are all thx to AMD:

Microsoft hints that DirectX 12 will imitate Mantle, but AMD insists its API has a bright future - E...

So I'm hoping the new APUs are closely integrated, with the GPU doing general purpose maths processing for the CPU and the HBM RAM acting as a L4 cache for both the CPU and GPU in the APU..!?

(For those that Currently have a Ryzen CPU; you may want to try improving gaming (and app) performance by keeping the game threads on the same CCX and only using SMT when necessary by trying out Project Mercury:

https://community.amd.com/external-link.jspa?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.techcenter.dk%2F

or the other apps as explained here:

Stop thread hopping between CCXs and unnecessary SMT for Ryzen gaming and app performance:
The features in Project mercury may already be built into the new Windows Scheduler, Bioses etc.  If not all of them are; awareness of apps like Project Mercury may speed up the process)

0 Kudos