cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zparisi97
Journeyman III

If I buy AMD Ryzen 7 3700X will I have to change the motherboard too?

I currently have a AMD Phenom II X4 processor running about 2.6ghz but I need more to do what I want.

the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X is just what I need bit I have some questions.

0 Likes
9 Replies

Yes you will need a new motherboard as the Ryzen 3700X uses an AM4 socket which is different to your Phenom CPU.

Andy

Is that the same for the AMD Ryzen 5 3600?

0 Likes

zparisi97 wrote:

Is that the same for the AMD Ryzen 5 3600?

With the latest BIOS the X470 can use the more recent processors too. 

If you do buy the R5 3600 then the X570 can provide some advantages

0 Likes

besides purchasing a new Motherboard you also need to purchase new RAM Memory from the Motherboard's QVL List for your Rzyen 3xxx processor.

Ryzen uses DDR4 RAM while Phenom uses DDR3 RAM.

you will need a new AM4 motherboard. you will also need some DDR4 memory.

as for the PSU that will depend on how old it is and how many watts it has available

I use MSI motherboards which have been robust

0 Likes
a68u
Journeyman III

you will not need a new motherboard. Brcause Phenom II X4 processor is still good enough.

I will understand your hesitation. I will think that ryzen is good enough too.

0 Likes

My R5 2400G is 4 cores 8 threads and it is substantially more powerful than my old Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, and it uses 1/3 the power to do it

0 Likes

It depends on what the OP wants to do. For many AAA games of the past couple years the Phenom II's while having been great processors just are not fast enough and bottleneck modern GPU's. I was on on a PII X6 and when Battlefield 1 came out it just could not even provide a constant 30fps at any in game settings. I had to upgrade the processor. If all the OP is doing is web browsing and office suite type work it may work fine still. That however is a matter of time as well though as that processor doesn't support many standards that are in modern processors. It was a great processor though. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

It depends on what the OP wants to do. For many AAA games of the past couple years the Phenom II's while having been great processors just are not fast enough and bottleneck modern GPU's. I was on on a PII X6 and when Battlefield 1 came out it just could not even provide a constant 30fps at any in game settings. I had to upgrade the processor. If all the OP is doing is web browsing and office suite type work it may work fine still. That however is a matter of time as well though as that processor doesn't support many standards that are in modern processors. It was a great processor though. 

I monitor the CPU, memory and GPU to see what is the limiting factor when a game is < 60 Hz

0 Likes