cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ciromasters
Adept I

I think my Ryzen 3500U (with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10GHz)is eating away my ram! Can anyone help?

Hi! So as I wrote in the title I have a ram related issue and I think it's from the Ryzen 3500U. I basically bought a laptop (asus vivobook s512da-ej315t, OS = windows 10) a few hours ago but first thing I discover is that I only have 5.95Go out of the 8Go I should have (with 2.1Go hardware reserved memory). 

I read on other forums that it might be GPU related (that's where my suspitions are from regarding the ryzen) and I already unsuccessfuly tried the msconfig tip (unticking the "maximum memory")...

I hope you guys can help me telling we if it's normal with this product to have 2.1Go eaten away or if you know any fix related to it, thanks a lot in advance,

Ciro

19 Replies
notauser
Journeyman III

Hi I just purchased an Acer aspire 5.

ACER Aspire 5 A515-43 15.6" AMD Ryzen 5 Laptop

I have the exact same specs a 3500u with 8GB ram and also only have 6GB useable. I believe that it is reserved for the GPU. see the linked thread below where they basically state that you can reserve up to 2 GB for the GPU if desired.

I believe you can change the settings in the BIOS maybe?

Vega 8 Video Memory | Tom's Hardware Forum 

0 Likes

I already looked everywhere in the BIOS I have but couldn't find any graphic, DVMT or anything related to dedicated ram :/
A strange thing I saw though is that the 2015 version of my BIOS had this graphic section in advanced settings where it could be changed but in the 2019 version that I have it disappeared...

0 Likes

APU's share system RAM to use for video memory. It's not a bug.

Thanks for your answer! Is there any way to make it more flexible though? I rarely have to use the full 2Go dedicated to my GPU and would like to decrease it to 1Go is it possible?

0 Likes

2GB is about the absolute minimum you need, as just Windows resources will use half a gig.

0 Likes

I don't think you understood the real problem here, dedicated ram is different than the normal ram (well actually it's the same but the dedicated ram isn't much used, almost not at all if not playing video games, but kept locked in case it would, leaving the laptop with only 5.9Go in the end with 2 almost never used)

0 Likes

I don't think you understand what "dedicated ram" is. An APU requires system RAM to use for video memory as they do not have any onboard like a discrete video card does, therefore the system dedicates a certain amount of system RAM for this purpose. This RAM IS used when not gaming for the Windows UI, all the effects, watching videos, and even internet browser objects.

Now, you're complaining about only having 6GB of RAM, but what are you doing which requires more than 6GB of RAM and doesn't require any significant video memory and is causing errors?

bro but mines AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.30 GHz and i have vega 10 graphics card and gtx 1650
like still i can't remove that usage thingy....because of that my games are loading slow af even valorant..like i am getting 112 to 60 fps like see the dropping rate can u plz help with that

0 Likes

I don't think 2GB is minimum required. My Lap AVITA is having Ryzen 3500U (with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10GHz) And it reserves only 1.1GB out of 8GB leaving 6.9GB usable.

Have a look on the screen shoot.

singhprasanta_0-1671286630450.png

0 Likes

ciromasters wrote:

Thanks for your answer! Is there any way to make it more flexible though? I rarely have to use the full 2Go dedicated to my GPU and would like to decrease it to 1Go is it possible?

Aside from your initial mistaken impressions, is there any reason you are worried about the amount of ram you have?  If so, I would assume you bought a laptop that can be fitted internally with more ram.  But if you aren't running programs that complain about memory, then I wouldn't give it a second thought--until that happens, if it ever does.  One major difference between desktops with discrete GPUs and laptops using shared ram is that the desktops use separate memory pools for the GPU and CPU; whereas those laptops share the same pool of ram between the CPU and the GPU.  In your case, GPU gets 2GB's; the CPU gets 6GB's.  This has nothing to do with Ryzen or AMD, btw, it's just the general way many laptops are designed, regardless of who makes the CPU and the GPU.  I'd be willing to bet if you bought your laptop via a web site that the product page for your laptop indicates that the GPU and CPU ram is shared--but honestly, too many OEMs & vendors relegate that information to the fine print.  Ah, the splendors of product marketing, eh?

0 Likes

Sadly I don't think I got one that can get more ram and yeah although I bought it in store I did get bait by the 8Go and didn't know or get informed it was an integrated graphic card that would reserve 2Go of the ram... But the problem is that I don't need 2Go reserved (would like to make it shared instead of locked "in case it would be used" because with windows and the drivers and other system related programs taking 2 more Go, it only leaves me with 4Go of operating ram...)

0 Likes

I don't think 2GB is minimum required. My Lap AVITA is having Ryzen 3500U (with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10GHz) And it reserves only 1.1GB out of 8GB leaving 6.9GB usable.

Have a look on the screen shoot.

singhprasanta_0-1671286630450.png

0 Likes
omegaflare
Journeyman III

Did you fiddle around with the BIOS under UMA setting and see if you can reduce the size from 2G to 512MB? If not then you're stuck.

0 Likes
anton888
Adept I

I have the same problem with my laptop on Ryzen 3500U, it eats 2 GB RAM for Vega 8 graphics. I checked several other laptops and they use only 0,1 GB for graphics, and take more only when it's needed. It seems no way to change it as BIOS doesn't have such option on my laptop. 

Have the same issue. RX5500 on my machine handle all the heavy graphics I have so no need to waste 2 gigs for VEGA10. My laptop is MSI Alpha 15 (A3DDK). Have you found any solution yet?

0 Likes
alokbv01
Journeyman III

I bought a new Asus Vivobook M409DA with AMD 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx. I am getting the same problem. Memory installed is 8GB but 5.9GB is usable. Well I am a software developer and I need more memory because sometimes Android Studio and its emulator requires more memory. When I searched internet I found that it can be fixed by some kinda of UMA Buffer Size setting in BIOS but in my laptop's bios there is no such setting. Should I update the bios or this memory is reserved forever ? Help 

0 Likes
priyaaanshu
Journeyman III

I am having the same issue on Asus m509da. How do I fix this? I need more RAM.

0 Likes

Hello, I have the same problem here.

System is Lenovo IdeaPad 3 14ADA05: AMD Ryzen 7 with AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 graphics which reserves 2.1GB of RAM, leaving my with only 5.9GB usable for my regular computing.

My laptop doesn't have advanced BIOS options, and like others I would like to reduce the amount of VRAM reserved to something similar to other laptops (512mb).

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad E595, in my BIOS it's the second tab which is config. Under that tab if you go to Display it has an option that says UMA Frame Buffer size. That's the only way to turn it down on mine or at least that I've found, I hope this helps someone at least cause I've found out to lessen the amount of RAM it uses for VRAM, but I want to increase the amount cause I plan on putting the full 32GB in here at some point.

0 Likes