Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

RetardSnake
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I think i messed up my cooler

So basically I just got my 5600X and just out of curiosity i touched the pre applied thermal paste on the Cooler. Help do i need to completely change my paste now or should i just go with it???????

0 Kudos
12 Replies
trek
Elite
Elite

Re: I think i messed up my cooler

Of course, clean it with isopropyl alcohol with lint free cloth and apply thermal paste on CPU, follow your thermal paste manufacturer recommendataion how to apply thermal paste.

I you touched your CPU IHS a lot clean it also with isopropyl alcohol and clean lint free cloth.

0 Kudos
Thanny
Miniboss
Miniboss

You'd be fine using the pre-applied paste.  Just touching it won't make any real difference.

However, if you have decent thermal paste on hand, there's no reason you shouldn't use that instead.

0 Kudos
RetardSnake
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

thanks for the replies, i decided to buy a thermal paste and re apply it on my CPU. but my CPU temps when i entered BIOS on first boot were 65C. I have a room temp of 20C, the mobo im using is asrock b550m Pro4. after this just to be sure i re did everything, cleaning and putting paste again, but same results

0 Kudos
kurdtnz
Adept II
Adept II

Have you downloaded the chipset driver?

0 Kudos
trek
Elite
Elite

@RetardSnake wrote:

but my CPU temps when i entered BIOS on first boot were 65C.

This might be correct, it depends on what fan speeds you have in BIOS, set all fan and pump speeds to 100% for test in bios if you can.

0 Kudos
RetardSnake
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

set my fans to full speed and i also checked if i did the right version for BIOS, same results. Mobo temps shows around 30-35C tho, which should be normal i guess but why the CPU temp so high. also my cabinet has the classic front to rear air flow. is this really a bug?? ive been too scared to even install windows

0 Kudos
trek
Elite
Elite

Select load opmitimized defaults in bios and save and exit bios to reboot. Enter bios again. If temperature is again 65C you will have to reseat cooler, apply paste again correctly, check cooler for damages, check cooler works correctly if AIO. Check you have components installed properly. Look at youtube videos and cooler manufacturer manuals for thermal paste application.

One important thing do not watch Verge PC Build install videos, do not read or follow any information Verge is providing.

0 Kudos
RetardSnake
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

i will try re seating the cooler, but i dont have an AIO on hand atleast not one that can fit in. Also didnt watch verge videos LOL

0 Kudos
trek
Elite
Elite

If you do not have AIO then I wonder what cooler do you have exactly. I fear to ask, because now I am not aware of AMD recommended air cooler with pre applied paste.

0 Kudos