cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

arkane
Journeyman III

I recently upgraded my pc 7850k to a 7890k and every now and then it flips to a blue screen and restarts. whats did I do wrong

I recently upgraded my pc 7850k to a 7890k and every now and then it flips to a blue screen and restarts. I forget the message but it says something about "your pc is not operating properly and a percentage counter starts from zero and builds up then the computer resets. I had a a10 7850k installed and i upgraded to a a10 7890k. i swaped out the cpu's  and thats it. was I supposed to do something else after putting it back together and turned it on. I thought it would just work with no tweaking. what did i miss?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
arcticwind
Forerunner

Re: I recently upgraded my pc 7850k to a 7890k and every now and then it flips to a blue screen and restarts. whats did I do wrong

What motherboard are you using?

Did you clean the heat sink and use new thermal paste on the processor when you replaced it?

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon

Re: I recently upgraded my pc 7850k to a 7890k and every now and then it flips to a blue screen and restarts. whats did I do wrong

As arcticwind suggests go to the motherboards website and check to see if that APU is supported and what BIOS version is needed. Compare to what you have.

0 Kudos
arkane
Journeyman III

motherboard is a gigabyte f2a88x up4

corsair vengence 2x8gb 16gb 2133ddr3

gtx 1060 6g 0c

I replace the old apu with a new apu. a10 7850k replaced with the a10 7890k. The 7890k came with the wraith cooler and had pre applied thermal paste. physical installation went smooth no probs. the old 7850k ran no prob, I got a new graphics card- gtx 1060 6g oc edition. it ran better than normal.

0 Kudos
arkane
Journeyman III

the motherboard I have is actually the highest recommended motherboard. I think I saw a video saying this motherboard was designed for the kaveri / godaveri apu chipset. thats way I bought it, because of the compatibility. I think the problem is the 7850k runs with the gtx 1060 fine but the 7890k does not. maybe i am the first person to put this combination of a system together. I can find no reference to anyone combining an A10 7890k with any of the new 10series nvidia cards. Sure the older nvidia cards like gtx 750ti's or 960 to 980's. so maybe Im screwed until drivers are created to fix the massive slow down.

I fixed the multiple different blue screen issues by removing all drivers with DDU and installing the new gtx 1060 drivers. but when I update the apu drivers it causes crashes and blue screens.

I have a new issue now though. after I log in and the system is running. the cpu percetage usage just goes up and up until its at 99% and it floats there. All the while slowing the system down so much it's running windows 98. The blue circle next to the cursor is always spinning, non stop. I have like two minutes after a boot of restart before it starts using 99% of the cpu to do nothing. I open the task manager so I can see what is using the cpu so much and nothing. everything is running at  under 10% if that. and the only program using any real cpu percentage is the task manager it self. I've already di the start up check and no secret program are running in the background.

I thought it was the base clock of the APU. since it's base clock is advertised as 4.01. and in the bios before I did anything, and every since the clock speed of the APU by default floats around 3.89 - 4.01. I watched it in the bios for a while to see if it ramped up or down randomly and no. it was stable in the high range. Also I have not and nor am i trying to overclock. I got the 7890k because its base clock without overclocking was already high so I figure why overclock. 

motherboard.... F2a88x-up4

graphics cad...GTX 1060 6g OC edition

APU A10 7890k 4c 8g  12core

mem... corsair vengence 16GB (2x8gb)

SSD evo250g running window 10 pro 64bit

0 Kudos
arcticwind
Forerunner

Did you update the motherboard BIOS and clear the CMOS when you upgraded to the A10-7890K?

To run the A10-7890K the motherboard need to be on the F7 BIOS.

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon

Have you followed settings on page 50 of the motherboard manual regarding Primary Video Device.

IGD if you don't have a vidcard installed. Uses APU's graphics.

Use Northbridge/default with your 1060... presumably.

0 Kudos
kokey6
Journeyman III

Same problem here.

My specs

Biostar a58mdp v.6.3 MB

Amd a10 7890k proc

1x8 gb ddr3 kingston 1600

1x4gb ddr3 team group 1600

1t seagate hdd

Theres something wrong?

Always having bluescreen. I already refresh the os and install all updated drivers

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Hardwood
Paragon

you're mixing ram which is not a good idea. Remove the 4GB and see if things improve

Check to make sure you have  the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

Check you manual and clear the cmos

go into bios setup and load defaults.

Make any necessary adjustments

save and restart

0 Kudos