cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dave_id
Journeyman III

I Need a good fan for a 2700X that fits on my custom HP motherboard (square connection)

Hello, if you can help that would be great.

here's the thing;

I have an HP OMEN 880-164nf

B350 chipset with a Ryzen 5 2600 inside and a HP generic fan on top of it (very bad quality)

I need to upgrade to the highest possible CPU model which is the 2700X

The 2700X comes with a Wraith Prism but I can't attach it to my motherboard (Higos2) which is a HP custom board...

HP Desktop PCs - motherboard specifications, Higos2 | HP® Customer Support 

As you can see, it's a custom HP solution, I can only use Mounting Brackets  that are in a square shape instead of the rectangular shape of AM4 sockets (4 screws in a square shape, like Intel sockets actually)

So I'm looking for another cooling solution that would adapt to the MB
I was thinking to the  "Be quiet! Pure Rock" or the "Be quiet! Pure Rock Slim"  or any other fan that would fit on HP Motherboards in fact....

thanks for helping.

(I have edited the post to a more accurate description of the problem)

0 Likes
4 Replies

Other Users have had the same problem when either upgrading the AMD CPU or CPU Cooler on a customized HP Computer motherboard.

The Motherboard seems to be compatible with Intel type CPU Coolers that requires a square connection to the motherboard.

AMD CPU Coolers are rectangular in area for connecting to the motherboard.

If your HP came with a AMD CPU Cooler stealth installed, can't you use the same mounting on the Prism?  Or is the AMD CPU Cooler customized with a special mounting so that it will fit a Intel type motherboard?

This YouTube video shows how to install the AMD Wraith Prism which seems to use a rectangular mounting: How to Install an AMD Wraith Prism CPU Cooler - YouTube 

I would highly suggest you open a HP Support ticket or post your question at HP Forum to see what they suggest as a upgrade in replacing your CPU Cooler.

Maybe HP has a CPU Cooler kit to be able to install AMD CPU Coolers.

EDIT: Reread your original Post. I see that you aware of the Intel type mounting. Trouble with trying to install an Intel type mounted CPU Cooler is if it will make a good connection to the Ryzen Processor. This is something that I don't know nor have information on.

I believe you should still open a HP Support ticket to find out what is the best CPU Cooler for the Ryzen 2700X which has a TDP of 105 watts. Which means you need to get a CPU Cooler with at least 150 watt TDP.  See if Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (150 watt TDP) will fit with a Intel mounting kit or a liquid CPU Cooler may be best for the 2700X processor.

This Cooler Master charts show all the CPU Cooler they have with which type of board and Socket it fits: https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/tdp-and-socket-compatibility/ 

Note: The chart used to indicate the TDP ratings but now seems like Cooler Master has deleted that information for some reason. I do know that the Hyper 212 evo has a rating of 150 watts TDP.

0 Likes

thanks a lot for your answer , I just saw that intel processors got attached in a square way, I need to know for what type of socket it would come close... 

"If your HP came with a AMD CPU Cooler stealth installed, can't you use the same mounting on the Prism?  Or is the AMD CPU Cooler customized with a special mounting so that it will fit a Intel type motherboard?"

it's my mistake, I thought it was a wraith but in fact I just saw  its an HP fan of some sort (a model that sucks) and it's attached in a square connection...way to go HP! I don't understand why they are doing that when on the page of my model it says that I can upgrade to a 2700x!
there's no way that sh*tty fan could support 105W...
so yes it's close to in Intel...need to know now what kind is it

thanks!

0 Likes
dacq
Adept III

Search eBay for "am4 bracket".

0 Likes

hello

I tried to look at that solution but no, it doesnt work , it's rectangular, and my motherboard got "square attachment" (HP suck big time about this)

0 Likes