cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rubiksmaster02
Journeyman III

i have a AMD Turion II P540 in a laptop will i be able to replace it with a AMD Phenom II Black Edition Quad-Core

so i have a Turion II P540 in my laptop and i am wondering if the Phenom II Black Edition Quad-Core will work in it they are both socket s1 but i am just making sure.

Also taking apart and replacing the processor is not a problem for me ive taken it apart a couple time and the processor is easy to get to so i dont need the comments that say it is too hard to take apart

0 Likes
2 Replies

You will need to contact the manufacturer of your laptop and get a list of processors which will work with that laptop. Likely it will not be supported.

0 Likes
neon
Miniboss

Both CPUs are S1g4, so the motherboard should be compatible.

Possible obstacles that may cause a problem:

- Is the BIOS compatible? It probably is, since these CPUs have the same core ("Champlain"), but it is up to the laptop OEM to provide proper BIOS support. Without it, you may not be able to change settings to take advantage of Black Edition overclocking abilities. Or it might not POST at all.

- Also BIOS related, the Phenom II X4 Black Edition can use DDR3-1333, which is faster than the Turion II memory controller supports, but system BIOS needs to support the faster RAM as well.

- Cooling. The Turion is rated for 25W TDP, the Black Editions are 45W TDP. Usually the laptop OEM have a single cooler for each model that is compatible with the entire product line, but if they didn't plan to sell Black Edition equipped units, then it is possible that the cooler is not adequate. You will want to monitor temps closely at first, to be sure they are reasonable.

Good luck finding one of those Phenom II Black Editions.