cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I got a buzzing comeing from my tower. Did i mess up the install of this new cpu?

I just installed a new cpu and the sound i cant figure where but is buzzing. Did i do something wrong?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: I got a buzzing comeing from my tower. Did i mess up the install of this new cpu?

Are there any other issues showing up? Like BSOD's, overheating, system hangs, error codes, display issues, etc?

If "buzzing" is the only issue, it could be coil wine, PSU or fans...

Is the processor you are using approved by the motherboard manufacturer?

Sometime when updating processors you may need to update the BIOS, check with your motherboard manufacturer for info on this.

If you installed the processor with the directional indicator in the correct position, locked it down properly and applied the thermal grease correctly and installed the heat sink properly you should be ok.

For more "specific" answers about your system, please provide some info on the hardware and software you are using.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

Also, including a picture of the inside of your computer can help, but is not necessary.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: I got a buzzing comeing from my tower. Did i mess up the install of this new cpu?

I tried updateing amd chipset drivers by the msi live up date 6 but it keeps showing up as not downloaded. My msi control center isnt showing any information on the cpu. There was an update for the bios but it took over 8hrs and didnt do anything i to ctrl alt delete outa that ....i'm pretty sure its comeing from the cpu. But why?

0 Kudos
Forerunner
Forerunner

like I said before...

For more "specific" answers about your system, please provide some info on the hardware and software you are using.

INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

Desktop pc

Windows7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)

WDDM 1.1 Idk where to find a driver vr or which one.

The monitor is a tv

760GM-P23 (FX) motherboard

amd fx 8320

Thermaltake tr2 430w

8192MB RAM i got most this from the dxdiag but i see the ram is diffrent in device display in advanced setting

and now i just tried playen a game to forget about the noise and it black screens and the tower is unresponsive. Had to hard reset.

0 Kudos
Forerunner
Forerunner

Chances are your motherboard is having issues with the 125w processor.  That motherboard is not a high performance model.

There are a lot of complaints about issues with running the higher powered chips with that board. What you are hearing is coil whine.

Make sure you have a lot of air flow across the VRM's. The motherboard may settle down over time.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

the person at walmart said it was a 95w cpu... some one has pointed out that theres a "e" that needs to be next of the cpu number8320e. i didnt get the one with e and had no idea it would make a diffrence.

0 Kudos
Forerunner
Forerunner

Your motherboard is able to accept the FX-8320e processor (95w). https://www.msi.com/file/test_report/TR19_24433.pdf 

Here are the spec's on both processors.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/374/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8320_vs_AMD_FX-Series_FX-8320E.html

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I couldn't open a game.  I dont see the cpu on the mother boards list. my old cpu was a 95w. I dont understand it. I've only ever replaced my graphics card on a pc. I guess next up if for me to buy a new mother board and learn about those so i can under stand more about what power supply i need

0 Kudos
Forerunner
Forerunner

There is a LOT more to building a reliable PC than just changing the mobo or components. You should do a web search for a current day guide to building a PC. If after digesting the info. you want to continue then you need to do more reading specifically on AMD PC builds with the CPU model/series you intend to use such as the 125w FX-8320 model. All of the FX-8350 threads/PC builds will be appropriate knowledge for any 125w FX-8000 series CPU build.

If you do your homework you will find the following:

1. You need a mobo designed for and approved for the FX-8320 125w CPU - Your mobo maker website list the CPU models each mobo model and Rev. supports. If your FX-8350 125w CPU is not listed it is NOT supported on that model mobo so you need to look at better designed/higher power compatible AM3+ socket mobos.

2. You will need a Quality PSU with a Minimum of 54 amps. available on the 12v rail. See JonnyGuru.com or Hardware Secrets.com for proper, accurate PSU reviews to find a good PSU if needed. (Many online PSU reviews are a waste of print as the reviewers lack the technical skills and tools to conduct a proper PSU test and design review.)

3. You will need a proper HSF to cool any 8 core FX CPU. Due to 8 active cores a quality tower style HSF from a Coolermaster Hyper 212 HSF or better will cool your FX-8000 series CPU.

Coolermaster AMD Heatsink Temperature Comparisons - Hyper 212 Evo FrostyTech Review

fx8350 is heating

4. You will need good airflow thru your PC case to remove the heat from both the CPU and GPU coolers.

5. In some cases you might need to disable C1E, Cool & Quiet and C6 power saving states to have good PC stability.

Best of luck. Learning can be fun and valuable. Enjoy!

0 Kudos