cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bcozier
Journeyman III

I'd like to report a Bug in the Ryzen Master App for PC. This describes the problem and the solution

If I am currently set at 4400Mhz and high-voltage and I try to switch to another profile with say 3500Mhz and lower voltage, it crashes and reboots my PC. This is because I assume it is trying to apply the lower voltage too soon before lowering the clock speed resulting in unstable system. The developers need to check the [A]-current-clockspeed and compare it to the new desired [B]-applying-profile-clockspeed : if [B] is greater than [A] then change to the presumably higher voltage setting first and then apply the higher clockspeed of [B]. However if [B] is less than [A] then apply the lower clockspeed of [B] first and then change to the presumably lower voltage setting. This would solve my crashing problem when trying to switch profiles from higher-clockspeed-and-voltage to lower-clockspeed-and-voltage. I verified it by making an intermediary Profile-1 which only lowered the clockspeed first without changing voltage, and then Profile-2 where it also lowered the voltage after applying Profile-1 and no crash occured. I am using a 3600XT and was able to make 4400Mhz using the stock cooler and 1.248V

0 Likes
2 Replies
Tufio
Adept II

@bcozier wrote:

If I am currently set at 4400Mhz and high-voltage and I try to switch to another profile with say 3500Mhz and lower voltage, it crashes and reboots my PC. This is because I assume it is trying to apply the lower voltage too soon before lowering the clock speed resulting in unstable system. The developers need to check the [A]-current-clockspeed and compare it to the new desired [B]-applying-profile-clockspeed : if [B] is greater than [A] then change to the presumably higher voltage setting first and then apply the higher clockspeed of [B]. However if [B] is less than [A] then apply the lower clockspeed of [B] first and then change to the presumably lower voltage setting. This would solve my crashing problem when trying to switch profiles from higher-clockspeed-and-voltage to lower-clockspeed-and-voltage. I verified it by making an intermediary Profile-1 which only lowered the clockspeed first without changing voltage, and then Profile-2 where it also lowered the voltage after applying Profile-1 and no crash occured. I am using a 3600XT and was able to make 4400Mhz using the stock cooler and 1.248V

Sorry for the intrusion.

Can you explain more about this " apply the lower voltage too soon before lowering the clock speed resulting in unstable system"?

I have reboots at idle/low use, and i believe is due to some core not getting power as it spikes.
And i believe ryzen master did something wrong:

-----

Now, after those reboots the ryzen behavior.. change and i have the core number 6 stuck like this: (also voltage stuck over 1.4 and higher temps)

6cK4P5r

This is idle but core 6 IS ALWAYS over 4mhz.
For some reason, the pc is 100% stable with this, never crashed or rebooted.

Ryzen master also give the "setting unstable, reverted to default"
But it was already default?

----

https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/ryzen-3600-mostly-reboots-and-some-crash/m-p/422417#M33971

Really, sorry for intrusion but i believe is still about ryzen master bugs.

0 Likes

(in the bios don't use the automatic voltage setting because it always overcompensates in my opinion and therefore gets hotter resulting in poor overclocks). What you want is the combination of highest clockspeed and the lowest higher-voltage that will support that clockspeed without crashing.

The explanation is simple. When you are at a much higher clockspeed for example 4400Mhz the CPU also requires higher voltage for example 1.25v instead of 1.1v-normally, but if you make another Profile for ultra-safety-mode at say 3500Mhz and 1.1v if you try applying that safe Profile (from my overclocked 4400Mhz 1.25v setting) my system crashes...because it is changing the voltage down before it applies the lower clockspeed and acts similarly to if I tried to run 4400Mhz at 1.1v (system unstable and crashes) instead of 1.25v  hence the solution I suggested which works verified by my creating an intermediary Profile which only lowers the clockspeed first. 

0 Likes