cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

n00b54uc3
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I am looking to upgrade my processor. I am using an A10 7800 Radeon R7. I want to use an FX-8320. Would my computer be able to use that proc?

Jump to solution

From what I am seeing online, my proc uses an FM2+ socket, and the one I would like to replace it with uses an AM3+ socket. Would that work, or not?

Also, would my computer be able to handle that without overheating?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
neon
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: I am looking to upgrade my processor. I am using an A10 7800 Radeon R7. I want to use an FX-8320. Would my computer be able to use that proc?

Jump to solution

No, your computer has a motherboard that has socket FM2+ and requires a CPU (or APU) that is socket FM2+. It cannot use a socket AM3+ CPU.

So you can:

A. upgrade to something like the A10-8850K socket FM2+ APU which will have similar performance plus another 200 MHz (maybe not worth it, depending on price/availability of a faster APU)

B. If you already have the FX-8320, replace your motherboard with a socket AM3+ board (might be economical if you can find a used motherboard at low cost, but it is a system rebuild.)

C. Rebuild with a Ryzen based system (costlier, but better performance now and into the future).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
neon
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: I am looking to upgrade my processor. I am using an A10 7800 Radeon R7. I want to use an FX-8320. Would my computer be able to use that proc?

Jump to solution

No, your computer has a motherboard that has socket FM2+ and requires a CPU (or APU) that is socket FM2+. It cannot use a socket AM3+ CPU.

So you can:

A. upgrade to something like the A10-8850K socket FM2+ APU which will have similar performance plus another 200 MHz (maybe not worth it, depending on price/availability of a faster APU)

B. If you already have the FX-8320, replace your motherboard with a socket AM3+ board (might be economical if you can find a used motherboard at low cost, but it is a system rebuild.)

C. Rebuild with a Ryzen based system (costlier, but better performance now and into the future).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos