cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted

I am looking to upgrade my AMD A4-5300 to a more modern unit capable of gaming but I have no idea where to start.

I have had this APU since I first got my desktop a few years back and it doesn't cut it for gaming. I have already upgraded my GPU not that long ago so I don't think that is the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: I am looking to upgrade my AMD A4-5300 to a more modern unit capable of gaming but I have no idea where to start.

depends how much performance you want and price your willing to go to... if you want a high end pc look for:

asus crosshair vi hero mother board x370

amd Ryzen 1800x cpu ...1700x if you want to save few dollars.

samsung ssd drive or m.2

G.skill Flare-x 3200 mhz ram

rx 580 Gpu

thats a win win combo.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: I am looking to upgrade my AMD A4-5300 to a more modern unit capable of gaming but I have no idea where to start.

Depends on your budget and target resolution, as well as your current graphics card. There is no real reason to upgrade to a new APU as that socket is dead, and since you have a graphics card there is no reason to use an APU.

Highlighted

I would like to spend less than $150 but anything around that would be fine and I would like it to work with my 2560 x 1080 monitor. I have the evga gtx 750 Ti. I think my motherboard is the MS-7721 or FM2-A55M-E33.

could I put a CPU in that slot or does this motherboard only accept APUs? (sorry if that's a dumb question i have no idea about hardware)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for the help. I am trying to keep things cheap but if that doesn't work out I'll definitely take your comment into consideration!

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

An APU is a CPU (a processor) with a GPU inside,it basically removes the need for a dedicated GPU (that 750 you have,but in your case the 750 is much more powerfull).Yes,you can install a standard CPU,but unfortunately for that socket your only „high end” options are the athlon Richland cores,with the highest one being the athlon 760k.If you can find it for cheap,go for it,if not,the best apu you can have is the a10 6800k.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

You'd be much better off saving until you can do a complete system update. The Ryzen R3s are due for a release next quarter, good for budget builds.