Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

uchix
Adept I

How to underclock my CPU Ryzen 5?

Hi,
I have a new Ryzen 5 2500x, with Corsair RAM OC(xmp) at 3200(I say this cuz i see that the CPU its OC too but i dont OC it) and when i start the PC it´s start using 4.1Ghz but for the moment i dont have liquid cooling(I use the stock cooling) and i have 75 C°+ in some games(like Monster Hunter World). The Question is: How to put it max 3.6Ghz the CPU? I dont want to change it every time with the Ryzen Master program.

I unistalling Ryzen Master program but I always have the CPU OC at 4.1Ghz.
My PC:

*Asus PRIME B450M-A

*AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler - YD260XBCAFBOX
*Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

Sorry for my English, im from Costa Rica, Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Yes probably. You should go to the asus forum and ask there, they will now what you need to do as I do not have a asus MB.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You can disable it in the bios.

In the processor features tab there should be something like precision boost 2 and / xfr 2, if you disable those there should be no oc anymore.

However your CPU may become 95°c and it will throttle down automatically. 

0 Likes

I would try this, I dont want to exceed the 80 C°, it´s too hot.

Edit: I can´t find these features, I only see AI Overclock Turner and the CPU Core Ratio in Auto, all in auto, I think this is why i get automatic 4.1Ghz, no?

0 Likes

Yes probably. You should go to the asus forum and ask there, they will now what you need to do as I do not have a asus MB.

misterj
Big Boss

uchix, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM).  Use Profile 1 or 2 to set the clocks then click Save Profile.  It should come up with those settings after that.  Here are your specifications:

2500X.jpg

Your maximum is 95C as prodoctor1987 said.

0 Likes

I set de Profile 1(Creator mode that put 3.6ghz max) every time when i turn on; i dont want to do it every single time, 24/7. I save it but when i restart the PC, it become to Auto again and again the 4.1Ghz. I want Peak speed 3.6Ghz like the image but always, not set it everytime with Ryzen Master.

I dont want to exceed the 80 C°, it´s too hot.
pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes

uchix, do not select Creator Mode. Select Profile 1 (fourth one) and set the clocks, then Save Profile. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: As well as I can tell it cannot be done (Apply Profile at power up). One person speculated this was to prevent a crash/reboot loop due to a bad OC. The only way would be using BIOS settings. Please search on this name for a great reference on RM: ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf

alchemek
Journeyman III

Hi Uchix,

I have successfully underclocked my Ryzen 5 2600X in the exact way you are desiring to do so using an ASUS motherboard. My motherboard model is ASUS Prime B350M-E. I will describe what I did to underclock my CPU within the UEFI settings:

1. Naturally, you will want to press F2 or Del to enter the UEFI settings.
2. Go into Advanced mode instead of EZ mode.
3. Click the AI Tweaker tab.
4. Click Custom CPU Core Ratio.
5. Change the number from whatever it is in this area to the lowest or whatever low number you desire. The ASUS Prime B350M-E lets me set it to 32 for the lowest; anything lower automatically resets to 32.
6. Now, click the Advanced tab.
7. Click AMD CBS.
8. Click Core Performance Boost.
9. Click the drop down menu and select Disabled.

By following these instructions, I was able to successfully underclock my CPU. It's great! It runs approximately 81% of the speed of stock settings, but it is already extremely fast, so I don't mind lowering the speed that much. Accordingly, the highest temperatures my CPU reaches with my underclock are 55 C, so that is highly desirable. Note that I am using the stock cooler. I am choosing to underclock instead of getting a better CPU cooler. I am also choosing to underclock so that my CPU lasts forever and lower CPU temperatures may result in lower temperatures across my entire system.

Please, let me know if I can assist any further.

Glad to hear to hear you get your temp. "issue" solved.

Of course if you do not need the 3.6Ghz you can lower it to 3.2Ghz, resulting in even lower temps than stock speed and longer life

Hi prodoctor1987,

Yes, I have "solved" the temperature issue. It is basically either a sacrifice in CPU performance or a sacrifice for me personally; the latter is a sacrifice because I must install a new CPU cooler and I totally don't think that is desirable for me at all haha.

Exactly. I don't need 3.6 ghz; 3.2 ghz is plenty fast for me, especially when I benchmark both configurations. The lower temperatures are way worth the sacrifice of speed. My max temperature under full load went from 85 C to 55 C.

My underclocking my CPU in the exact manner that I did calls into question, though, exactly why I purchased the X version of the AMD Ryzen 5 2600 series in the first place since I disabled precision boost. But that is okay; stable, fast computing for an eternity is more important to me than speed. Of course, my computer could blow up tomorrow and all of this could have been for naught. Or AM4 motherboards could become extremely expensive in the future since they will be superceded, in which case I would be in the same dilemma. :-P

0 Likes