cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

shainaali
Journeyman III

How to tell if RAM, CPU or motherboard has failed? Should I assume all 3 have failed if I can't test

Motherboard: gigabyte B450M S2H V2 (new)

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x (new)

RAM: 2x16 GB DDR4 UDIMM - mta18asf2g72pdz-2g3b1ig (used from a reputable seller)

Tried two different PSUs (tested both on an old system first and that seemed to POST fine) got fan spin and no beeps (mostly, see next paragraph) but when I tried to plug in a graphics card I got no graphics output (the graphics card seem to work in a different system). Removing either of or both RAM sticks didn't seem to change anything, still no beep codes, removing the CPU power cable (the 4 pin connector) also didn't change anything. GZOLEHANA

Got something that sounded a bit like a beep from the PC speaker once but couldn't replicate that. Tried a different speaker in case there was an issue with that but it didn't seem to help.

Does the fact I don't get beep codes even when in a clearly invalid state (no RAM or no CPU power) indicate the motherboard is failed? Or are beep codes handled by code running on the CPU? I can't test the CPU or RAM on another motherboard as I don't own any motherboard with an AM4 socket or that uses DDR4 memory.

Could the power supply be faulty in some way that lets it boot older systems that might have higher tolerances but cause failures in newer hardware?

Edit: Turns out I was sold RDIMM memory as UDIMM, not sure why it didn't result in beep codes but when I got some UDIMM memory the system booted.

0 Likes
2 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I found that the latest slim fit EVGA 750 800 850 900 watt PSU's although saying they provide the power described only produce at best 70 to 80% of their advertised power output. Thermaltake Cooler Master and Corsair have always worked great for me. I'm running a 1200 watt Thermaltake PSU and new it costs under $250. Check NewEgg.com and read the customer reviews also check the detail specs before buying. Been using them for all my PC builds only once did I get a DOA and that was due to careless mishandling by UPS.

If your PSU is modular make sure all your cables are seated properly as this can cause temporary power disconnects/interruptions/or in worse case power surges. 

0 Likes
iTimDavid
Adept I

According to Multiple searches on the internet, you have the following RAM: Link

MICRON 16GB PC4-2400T-R Registered ECC

This wont work with your current motherboard as it is registered and error correcting RAM. You need unbuffered, non error correcting RAM. If you want to be 100% sure, you can check the Memory Support List for your motherboard on the gigabyte website.

0 Likes