cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

nickaa827
Adept I

How to properly measure CPU temperatures?

Hi, I've heard that 3rd party utilities misinterpret the TCTL signal (don't really understand what that is) and give a bad reading of the CPU temps for AMD processors. However, I tried to use AMD overdrive, which did help a little since it gave me the thermal margins, but I would really love it if there was a way to get the actual CPU temps, not just the margin. Thanks again. Reply if you have any questions.

Specs:

CPU: Athlon X4 880K

GPU: Radeon R9 285

8 GB of RAM

Tags (2)
7 Replies
rebelyell
Exemplar

Re: How to properly measure CPU temperatures?

depends. if you have an asus mother board you can use probelt with a meter. but usually thats for testing boards with high precision . or you can use software.

the Tdie is the actuall temp to watch ..

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar

the tcTl is the package temperature which climbs slower. the tdie is the imc  or basically the northbridge temp on the cpu diode sensor which jumps up faster with cpu and ram load communication and voltage. does that help?????

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

HWINFO64 will give you an accurate reading.

nickaa827
Adept I

I do not have a ryzen cpu.

0 Kudos
nickaa827
Adept I

That does help.What utility should I use to measure these signals?

0 Kudos
rebelyell
Exemplar

the best i have found to read temps is either hwinfo64  or Aida64 free version. and that is all you need. hwmonitor is not that good dont use it...

your question is what temp to read. well there is more than 1 on a cpu..  as posted previously.

0 Kudos
gupsterg
Adept III

I believe Athlon X4 880K as a Godavari is based on Steamroller mircoarchitecture. tCTL does not represent a temperature which could be measured on the die or the case of the processor. Below is an extract from a BIOS and Kernel Developer’s Guide (BKDG), IIRC AMD Family 15h ones would apply to your CPU, link.

2.10.1 The Tctl Temperature Scale

Tctl is the processor temperature control value, used to control its cooling systems. Tctl is accessible through SB-TSI and F3xA4 [CurTmp]. Tctl is a non-physical temperature on an arbitrary scale measured in degrees. It does not represent an actual physical temperature. Instead, it the maximum cooling capacity of the system for the processor's maximum temperature and maximum thermal power dissipation. It is defined as follows for all parts:

• For Tctl = 0 to Tctl_max - 0.125: the temperature of the part is [Tctl_max - Tctl] degrees under the temperature for which maximum cooling is required.

• For Tctl = Tctl_max to 255.875: the temperature of the part is [Tctl - Tctl_max] degrees over the worst-case

Expected temperature under normal conditions. HTC or THERMTRIP_L The processor may take corrective actions that affect the performance or operation as a result.

There maybe further information you can gain from those PDFs.

0 Kudos