Did you mean: 

Processors

gisejil359
Adept I

How to disable (alleged) Overclock in Ryzen 7 5800X

My PC has a Ryzen 7 5800X

No Overclock profile in BIOS

BIOS menu reports CPU at normal frequency, 3.8GHz

Despite this, the seller claims that the CPU has a "turbo mode" and that would allegedly explain why CCD #1 component of the CPU goes up to 91°C during gaming.

How can I disable that alleged "turbo mode" ?

0 Likes
6 Replies
gisejil359
Adept I

I just found out in the windows task manager that the CPU is running at 4.5GHz during gameplay, instead of base 3.8GHz

is it possible to turn off the overclocking of the Ryzen 7 5800X or is it "hardcoded"

0 Likes
Racq
Adept II

There are sometimes options in the BIOS that can be used to toggle this functionality (depending on the manufacturer), and there are also options within Windows power profiles that can also do that as well. The latter requires a registry modification and then a Windows power profile setting switch/toggle as well. These are the two most common options.

If the temperature is your main concern, I'd investigate the thermal issues as temperatures in this range are not typical of a fully functional CPU cooling solution during a gaming workload. I'd start by investigating the mounting of the CPU cooler and ensure it's making proper contact with the IHS (integrated heat spreader) with a proper amount of thermal paste or a CPU thermal pad like the Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad. I've used both with excellent results. Then investigate if the CPU cooling fan is operating correctly, if computer case airflow is proper, etc.

If you are just looking to lower CPU thermals, there are a number of options besides disabling the default single thread boosting features. It really depends on what your goal is when deciding between all the options.

Suetan124
Adept I

Have you checked your settings in AMD Adrenalin? You can make sure that it's not overclocked in there. Other than that, if your MB is like my Tuf Gaming X570+, it can have a basic or optimized setting in BIOS. Change that to basic, and it removes overclocking. Optimized does auto-overclocking. Personally, I prefer stability over speed, so I don't overclock anything.

crystalyser
Adept III

with 22.6.1 the temperature problems with my 5800x start. with the last big windows update it escalates totally....
i reduce the core clock form 5ghz to now 4,75ghz because otherwise i reach in idle 80°C -_-

Ryzen7 5800X 4,95ghz; LLC3; 420mm Liquid Freezer2; Corsair RGB Pro SL 32gb/2 - 3600mhz CL18; Sapphire RX6800 Pulse OC; Asus XG27AQ 165Hz; MSI X570 Gaming Plus PPT:137W EDC:135A TDC:95A; BeQuiet! PP 730W
0 Likes
gisejil359
Adept I

ok so it turns out it was indeed an overclocking problem

not only my cursed MSI BIOS enabled OC in default settings, but they hid the setting under the very obscure label "optimization", somewhere among the gazillons of BIOS options there was an "optimization" setting that was set on "auto" and that I needed to set on "disabled"

after that the CPU frequency was back to normal (3.8GHz)  and for the very first time I could play a game for an hour straight without crashing, before that it used to crash within 30min easily

and removing the OC had absolutely no impact on smooth 60fps on high settings

all the OC did is break my computer, MSI BIOS is pure evil

Good to hear that you got it straightened out (^_^)

Now get out there and game!

0 Likes