Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

a_acquista
Journeyman III

How to change Amd Turion x2 RM-70

Hi all,

my laptop doesn't start anymore and the problem should be the CPU (AMD Turion X2 Dual Core RM-70).

How can I be sure that the cpu is dead?

If it is really dead, can I replace the cpu with another model? If yes, which other models could be good for me?

Alessio

P.S.

My laptop is HP DV5 1007el

0 Likes
1 Solution
neon
Miniboss

It is more likely that a power problem or motherboard problem will happen before CPU fails.

You can test CPU to be sure by either replacing the existing RM-70 with another working CPU, or else by placing the existing RM-70 into another known working laptop.

It should be possible to replace RM-70 with other models. Turion X2 RM-70 is from 2008 and uses socket S1g2. Any other socket S1g2 CPU should also work:

Athlon X2 QL-60, 62, 64, 65, 66, 67

Turion X2 RM-70, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77

Turion X2 Ultra ZM-80, 82, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
neon
Miniboss

It is more likely that a power problem or motherboard problem will happen before CPU fails.

You can test CPU to be sure by either replacing the existing RM-70 with another working CPU, or else by placing the existing RM-70 into another known working laptop.

It should be possible to replace RM-70 with other models. Turion X2 RM-70 is from 2008 and uses socket S1g2. Any other socket S1g2 CPU should also work:

Athlon X2 QL-60, 62, 64, 65, 66, 67

Turion X2 RM-70, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77

Turion X2 Ultra ZM-80, 82, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88

0 Likes

Hi and thank for your reply.

How can I test CPU? I don't have another laptop.

I think it could be a CPU issue because when I turn on my laptop I've got only a black screen and a blinking light on the keyboard.

I checked the blink-code on the laptop documentation and it should means a CPU problem.

Moreover, you mentioned also the X2 Ultra ZM-xx CPU series.

Let's take the ZM-86, if I correctly understood, it should have a different TDP (Thermal Design Power). Could it be a problem?

Thanks again

0 Likes

I do not know of a discrete "CPU tester". A CPU must be tested in a working motherboard.

So, choice #1: get a working 2008 AMD-based laptop and substitute your RM-70 for its CPU --> if it boots, then your RM-70 is OK. if it fails to boot, then your RM-70 is bad.

Choice #2: remove your RM-70, get a known working CPU and substitute it into your laptop --> if it boots, then you may infer that the RM-70 is bad; if it fails to boot, then your laptop has another problem.

All of the AMD dual core QL-, RM-, and ZM- series CPUs have the same 35W TDP, except for one version (there are 2 versions) of RM-70 is 31W and ZM-80 is 32W. Therefore, any of them should be OK with your laptop's cooler.

0 Likes

Ok.

When you talked about doing a CPU test, I thought (and hoped) for a moment that there could be another way to test it than using another CPU or mother-board.

So now I'm going to buy another CPU (used, obviously) and I found both the RM-70 and ZM-82, for this reason I asked about the different TDP.

Anyway, I don't know yet my model TDP, but if it was the 31w one, what could happen if I replace with a 35w one?

0 Likes

In that case, then it may run a few degrees warmer, but it should be ok. I do not think that HP designed a separate 31W cooler for a few AMD processors. Your laptop's cooler should be able to handle any of the 35W processors.