cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

blackjack74
Adept II

how much performance will i lose my using air colling with the 5900x?

Hi! I have the following config:

- r5 5600x

- asus rog strix b550-f gaming wifi

- thermalright aro-m14o

- couple of 140mm Frontal Fans

- one 120mm top fan

- HyperX Fury 16 ГБ (8 ГБ x 2) DDR4 3600 МГц CL17 (HX436C17FB3K2/16)

- gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro 3.0

- nvme samsung 970 pro ssd

I want to upgrade the cpu to 5900x, but I do not want to use water cooling, i would like to stay on air cooling. Also I want to get the silent PC in idle/lowload mode.

I'm planning to use the PC for:

- gaming

- virtual box

- coding/developing/compilling

Is my current cooler enough for 5900x if I will use lite PBO raise only, e.g. curve optimize, PPT/EDC limit, DOCP 3600MHz. E.g., limit PPT up the default 142W.

I prefer the low temperatures than the the higest frequencies, so, do not mind to limit maximum frequency up to 4.8 (pbo+0MHz) or even 4.6MHz. 

How much performance I will lose on air cooling relativly to water cooling using PBO like described above?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Since you already have the ARO-M14 cooler, I would try it with 2 fans in a push pull configuration and see if it's adequate (unfortunately, the ARO-M14's website doesn't mention what kind of heat in watts it can handle).

It is a 6 heat pipe cooler thus a lot better than the 4 heat pipes of a Hyper 212.

The DeepCool Assassin III has 7 heat pipes and is a twin tower design (280 watts max heat dissipation).

If your 5900x is for light use cases and will not be pushed to the max for extended periods of time, your ARO-M14 might just do the trick with a 2nd fan.

Good luck in which ever way to decide to go.

Regards: Jack

View solution in original post

9 Replies

The Ryzen 5900X is a much hotter running processor than the 5600X.

Comparing the 5900X to the 5600X according to AMD Specs:

TDP Rating: 5900x=105 watts TDP   5600X=65 watts TDP

Maximum Operating Temperature: 5900X=90c  5600X=95c

You will need a powerful Air CPU Cooler to maintain the 5900X below 90c temperatures.

I guess you will find out. I suggest you add a second CPU Cooler fan for the 5900X and  see if it maintain the temps at or below 80c under heavy loads or stress.

Themalright doesn't give out too much information as to the TDP ratings of your CPU Cooler is nor which type of Processor it is compatible with.

This tech site gives some good examples of the best recommended CPU Coolers for the 5900X: https://levvvel.com/best-cpu-cooler-for-ryzen-9-5900x/

0 Likes

@elstaci , thanks, ok, I have been searching for more info about my cooler in internet and as I found out my it able to dissipate up to 240W. Official site does not give any information, but CU does: https://www.computeruniverse.net/ru/p/90724439

As I have posted recenlty I already set up the CPU, it feels good under this cooler so far. Let's see how it go on

ThreeDee
Paragon

What case make/model?

I think you'll be ok with that cooler 

Run some stress tests with your new 5900x and monitor temps to be certain though

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

I upped my 5600x to a 5900x, I was using a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 black rgb with the 5600x, but from what I read, it wasn't going to be enough for the 5900x. I decided to go with the DeepCool Assassin III twin tower cooler (2 x 140mm fans).
I am impressed by this air cooler for the 5900x. It's been keeping my 5900x below 80 degrees and a lot of times below 70, not a big fan of water cooling, just a phobia of water in a computer, not to mention with my luck, the pump wouldn't last long. LOL

The Hyper 212 worked really well with the 5600x though!

Thank you, I agree, I think the same way about water cooling) What about Be Quiet! Dark rock pro 4? 

Yep, I see, this is a good cooler, it 2x time heavier than my one, and have one extra thermal pipe. But as I understand, all the coolers NH-D15, Dark Rock Pro 4, and Assassin III are the level coolers, and the maximum TDP is very close to mine (240W of Thermalright ARO-M14). The only two big differences: extra cooler and two sections instead of one. 

I guess two sections a little bit better than one, but I can to try to add extra fan to my one-section cooler... What do u think? Would It help?

0 Likes

Thank you, I have Coolermaster NR600 with a couple of Noctua NF A14 pwm in the front panel, and Noctua NF S12B as top cooler. Case coolers run at silent mode. I think to add extra NF A15 PWM to the back of the my cooler Thermalright ARO-M14. What do u think? 

0 Likes

Since you already have the ARO-M14 cooler, I would try it with 2 fans in a push pull configuration and see if it's adequate (unfortunately, the ARO-M14's website doesn't mention what kind of heat in watts it can handle).

It is a 6 heat pipe cooler thus a lot better than the 4 heat pipes of a Hyper 212.

The DeepCool Assassin III has 7 heat pipes and is a twin tower design (280 watts max heat dissipation).

If your 5900x is for light use cases and will not be pushed to the max for extended periods of time, your ARO-M14 might just do the trick with a 2nd fan.

Good luck in which ever way to decide to go.

Regards: Jack

Thank you! Recently I had my CPU delivered, and I have already installed it under the thermalright cooler. so, as you correctly noticed, in light and middle load cases it perfectly works with this red devil moreover, in high loads it can cope the heating, but only with limiting by PBO2. I set Curve Optimizer -10 per each core and PBO2 limits to the motherboard managed ones (1000W, 180EDC, 140TDC), and set thermal throttling limit to 85°C. So, it strikes 22400 score on Cinebench R23, but not even touch the thermal limit. But, If the CPU boots up 4.9 on some cores I see the 85°C. As I noticed, the first CCD is heating the 10°C more than second one, and thus determines the bulk temperature. In the games I see normal termeratures (50-60 in Cyberpunk 2077 at ultra settings, FHD). 

I tried to set up the second cooler, the same cooler as I have (TY-147B), but it does not fit cuz the VRM heatsink on the MOBO, so I decided to stay with only one FAN at the CPU cooler, but I installed another 3-pin cooler to the frontal panel and set the trigger to spin it up as soon as temperature reaches 65°C. It supports the CPU fan and delivers cold air.

0 Likes
blackjack74
Adept II

Thank you for respond. i really think to add extra fan after my last power test in occt: 87C on my 5600X in the test if both CPU and GPU are under full load, 106W for CPU, 240W for GPU. CPU fan runs at maximum 1300 RPM. But in the separate test when only CPU is fully load, I have only 78C and 1000RMP on CPU cooler.

0 Likes