cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sjjeong
Journeyman III

How does Bristol Ridge APU support HDMI 2.0 on AM4 motherboards which are limited at 1.4 version?

Jump to solution

Most of B350 chipset m-ATX boards specify HDMI version as 1.4. If Bristol Ridge APU supports HDMI 2.0, how does it work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atlasminor
Challenger

Re: How does Bristol Ridge APU support HDMI 2.0 on AM4 motherboards which are limited at 1.4 version?

Jump to solution

If your worried about bristolRidge itself when placed on the board, don't be, the board and socket control the chip, not the other way around. Manufacture can reorder pins accordlying so to speak. When a APU fit s a socket then it it will run. Circuit board sockets control the varies parts of the board, that's why when a pin gets bent an a board still runs, it way have only taken out a Slot part of the board.

But lets start different versions of HDMI we have 1.4,,2.0 and recently 2.1. These are oly version numbers and basically mans a different set of capabilities....

1080p 60hz

2160 30hz

1080p 120hz

Original HDMI and was shipped with all hdmi in last 6 years including PS3 and XBox1 both are hdmi 1.4

4k 60 fps

1080p FHD 120 HDR

2160p UHD 60 HDR

Handles more data and both have ARK audio return, and 3d capable,  So to sum up, the great thing that was about 2.0 is it is backward compatible to 1.4 so manufactures will have no problem using 2.0 chipsets ona 1.4 pipeline.  They will only be 1.4 and support what 1.4 is technically speaking the new AM4 boards for mATX is still only announced one is by BioStar a few others ..... I hope this was enough info it is a rather large subject.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atlasminor
Challenger

Re: How does Bristol Ridge APU support HDMI 2.0 on AM4 motherboards which are limited at 1.4 version?

Jump to solution

If your worried about bristolRidge itself when placed on the board, don't be, the board and socket control the chip, not the other way around. Manufacture can reorder pins accordlying so to speak. When a APU fit s a socket then it it will run. Circuit board sockets control the varies parts of the board, that's why when a pin gets bent an a board still runs, it way have only taken out a Slot part of the board.

But lets start different versions of HDMI we have 1.4,,2.0 and recently 2.1. These are oly version numbers and basically mans a different set of capabilities....

1080p 60hz

2160 30hz

1080p 120hz

Original HDMI and was shipped with all hdmi in last 6 years including PS3 and XBox1 both are hdmi 1.4

4k 60 fps

1080p FHD 120 HDR

2160p UHD 60 HDR

Handles more data and both have ARK audio return, and 3d capable,  So to sum up, the great thing that was about 2.0 is it is backward compatible to 1.4 so manufactures will have no problem using 2.0 chipsets ona 1.4 pipeline.  They will only be 1.4 and support what 1.4 is technically speaking the new AM4 boards for mATX is still only announced one is by BioStar a few others ..... I hope this was enough info it is a rather large subject.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
sjjeong
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thanks a lot! So Bristol Ridge on AM4 boards will run at HDMI 1.4 version, except on BioStar board having HDMI 2.0 feature.

0 Kudos
atlasminor
Challenger

Jump to solution

no problem,

I enjoy a lot of this stuff, its when consumer see's short falls is when I get down about. So wasn't sure if the new highly anticipated BioStar mobo, first mini-itx was 2.0 or not, the review I saw had a x1600 full over clock and real 3200mhz ram being tested, and it ran for hours without any problems, and only costs 109$US which for a board to have all the bells an whistles for that price is amazing.

2.1 will offer eARK enhanced return audio and will be set backward compatible with 1.4 and 2.0, I had to go check on my article an took a screenie shown here at all offered from each bversio. Good to know that the biostar which I may order next week is 2.0, still not decided, but I don't want to wait to long and watch prices jump through the roof

Chart seen here

hdmi2.1.png

You may have to zoom in to read it.

0 Kudos