cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

nasty7
Adept II

How do I know if the Graphics are built in the the Physical CPU?

I'm trying to understand, if replacing the CPU will fix a No Display issue due to overheating?  As I understand it, the Graphics are built into the CPU, but is it like Intel, or is it shared but in another location on the System Board.  I ask because I would like to be able to fix these when this happens.  Lack of maintenance makes this happen of course, but will replacing the CPU Fix it?

I've tried everything to fix these, and always connect an external Display and that don't work either.  It's always when the Heatsink is 100% plugged up.

I'm also trying to understand what the extra pad is that shares the heatsink tube to cool with, like in the diagram below #3 and #4?  Just trying to save more of these old good Windows 7 machines.  This would be the CPU in question now.

AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core Mobile Processor M500

2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 3.6GT/s

 AMD M880G Chipset

 ATI Radeon™ 4200 Graphics with 256MB-1918MB dynamically

allocated shared graphics memory

Thanks!

ZKiOr0v.png

0 Likes
1 Solution

The first AMD mobile APUs (CPU and GPU on the same die) were A-Series Mobile (Llano) introduced in 2011. Most notebooks, including all mainstream notebooks, prior to then had a separate GPU chip.

How else can you know?

* Search on the Turion II X2 M500. It's specs do not include graphics.

* Search on Radeon HD 4200. It is an onboard graphics chip, where "onboard" means on the motherboard.

* Look at the chips on the motherboard. There should be a separate chip that says Radeon 4200. It requires cooling, so ya, it should be #4 on the diagram.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
neon
Miniboss

Turion II does not have graphics on the same chip as the CPU. As indicated in the top illustration, the Radeon 4200 is a separate chip on the motherboard.

0 Likes

That Diagram is not this laptop, I posted because there is none for this stupid Toshiba I'm working on.  But it is what I thought I've seen when working on these laptops.  And I'm not disagreeing just trying to learn how to find this info for myself.  Actually I agree, but don't know how to confirm this myself.

Is this what tells me, the official literature?

"The 2009 AMD Notebook Platform for Mainstream PCs featuring AMD Turionª II Processors & ATI Radeonª

HD Graphics"

Is it the "ATI Radeon HD Graphics" are these always separate from the actual CPU Chip?  And if so where is the darn graphics chip, is it that #4 on the diagram?

Thanks very much, Nasty7

0 Likes

The first AMD mobile APUs (CPU and GPU on the same die) were A-Series Mobile (Llano) introduced in 2011. Most notebooks, including all mainstream notebooks, prior to then had a separate GPU chip.

How else can you know?

* Search on the Turion II X2 M500. It's specs do not include graphics.

* Search on Radeon HD 4200. It is an onboard graphics chip, where "onboard" means on the motherboard.

* Look at the chips on the motherboard. There should be a separate chip that says Radeon 4200. It requires cooling, so ya, it should be #4 on the diagram.

0 Likes

@neon, Very kind of you to show me that!  Unfortunately I did not want to take it apart to find this out, and is why I asked.  Also, the Toshiba Service Manual did not tell me this either...that I could see anyhow.  In fact, Tosh don't even have the darn Service Manual on their site.

Thanks again, Nasty7

Sorry I forgot to mark this as an answer.  It was very nice of your to explain all that to me, thanks again!

Nasty7