Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

How do I enable all 8 core on a FX 8150 cpu

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, 16GB of Ram on an Asus Sabretooth 990FX motherboard and an AMD FX 8150 Black Edition 8 core cpu. I am also using an AMD\ATI R7-370 PCI-E video card. I was using all 8 cores but after updating my video drivers (which includes amd drivers for the mb) to version 16.6.2, now my system says it's a 4 core cpu! I rechecked the bios and it still has "all core active" set to auto. Any suggestions? If I roll back the video drivers, it will automatically install 16.6.2 again. I noticed with 16.6.2 that when I open a webpage or a game, my cpu fans speed up. I just used the uninstaller from ATI and reinstalled 16.3.2 and the fans are not speeding up but it still only shows 4 cores not 8.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
35 Replies
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

Re: How do I enable all 8 core on a FX 8150 cpu

WIN10 allows user configuration of the CPU cores. You'll need to have both the BIOS and the O/S set to use all eight cores.

There are a variety of threads / YouTube videos to assist you if you are unable to find the proper WIN10 settings in the "help" menus.

HOW TO: Enable Multiple Cores on Windows 10! - YouTube

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Thanks for the help. I did do as the video shows and I set it to 8. It was like that for the past 4 years. Now it will only show 4.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, it should show in system information:

or in CPUz

Except FX-8150 instead of FX-8350.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Win10 will park processor cores to save power with the default computer power plan 'Balanced'. Setting your computer power plan to "Performance" will 'unpark' them all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

All FX-8000 series CPUs contain four clusters or "modules", with each module containing two integer cores. Each module contains only one floating-point core. Therefore, the way the OS is concerned, and to schedule threads correctly, it identifies each cluster as a "core" to spread the load evenly across each shared floating-point core. Each integer core is addressed as a logical CPU.

That means, us FX-8000 guys have 4-core, 8-thread processors. We do not have true 8 core CPUs, and the OS identifies it as such.

Read up on CMT (clustered multithread) and the Bulldozer architecture.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I didn't know that, thanks. Mine was set to Performance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Thanks for the info. I checked my BIOS and the Asus Core unclocker is enabled and the cpu core activation is set to manual which activates cores 3 to 8. When I built the system 4 years ago, I did the msconfig trick, and it showed 8 cores. I recently bought an asus pci-e r7 video card. After installing it, there was newer software for it. The "package from ati" included amd drivers. That's when I found my system now shows 4 cores. I uninstalled those drivers, rebooted and put back the original ones, but it still shows 4 cores. Thanks everyone for your time and help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

I switched to balanced and rebooted, no difference. thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos